Day 9 - Living a Dream in Dreamland

Bali Travel Blog

Asri at breakfast

Tuesday morning was our first full day in Dreamland (New Kuta). Our plans were just to explore the hotel property and the surrounding area, and maybe check out the beach. The first thing we did was visit the hotel restaurant (Kayu Manis) for our free breakfast. From our private balcony we had a good view of the restaurant’s outside seating; the tables were empty so we headed there straightaway.

The breakfast is buffet style, and there is also a cook there who makes your eggs anyway you like them. The view from the outside seating was very nice. We could see the main grounds, the pool, the gazebos, the spa, and the ocean beyond all of that.

View from breakfast
Of course, we had the same view from our room. By the beach we could see a big building which seemed to get a lot of traffic, that we later learned was Klapa.

One thing we found out on our first day was that this hotel was out in the middle of no where! There was nothing close by, except for the Klapa and the golf course. This didn’t really bother us; we were here just to enjoy each other’s company, anyway. When it was getting close to lunchtime, we had the hotel shuttle drive us over to Klapa. We really had no idea what was there, except for a restaurant that we planned to eat at.

The Klapa was still in development and under construction inside, but the restaurant, deck, and pool were all completed.

Enjoying the pool and getting burned
There were some great views of the ocean and beach below. One other thing they didn’t have completed was the elevator down to the beach, and taking the rough concrete steps down was a bit treacherous. We didn’t go down to the beach today, but just went into the restaurant for lunch. And after lunch it was back to the hotel to enjoy the beautiful pool. Everyone at the hotel seemed to be at the Klapa, so we had the pool to ourselves. Asri reclined on one of the chaise loungers under an umbrella while I took a dip in the pool to get some much needed sun.

After ordering drinks from the bar, we both relaxed beside the pool in this wonderful paradise. All was going exceptionally well until Asri suddenly discovered something was missing….and this is where I have to back up a little and fill in the blanks before going any further. On our first night in Bali at the Mercure hotel, I wanted Asri to know that I really was committed to her and that I wanted to spend my life with her.

Looking for the ring!
To that end, I brought with me a “promise” ring to give to her, at least until we could both pick out the “engagement” ring at a future date.

And so today at the pool, Asri suddenly exclaimed that the ring was gone! She had it just a few minutes earlier, and when she lifted the end of the cushion on her chaise lounger we both heard something hit the wooden deck. We began searching for the ring but it was no where to be seen. We suspected that it had fallen in between one of the cracks of the decking and spent the next half hour on our hands and knees peeking down through the cracks trying to see it. Eventually some of the hotel staff came over to find out what we were doing. After we explained the dilemma, two of the maintenance guys brought their tools and pulled up some of the boards. Once the boards were up it took all of 5 seconds to find the ring!

Asri was terribly upset about dropping it.

A ring can always be replaced, but things turned for the best and we will always have that story to tell. We appreciated the staff tearing up their pool decking for us, and made sure we gave them a nice tip for being so helpful.

After spending the entire afternoon at the pool, I started to feel a little burned later that night. Everyone warned me about using sunscreen (yes, even Erin!), but I’m an Aries and sometimes hard-headed! Haha But the next trip into Kuta would include shopping for sunscreen.

View from breakfast
Enjoying the pool and getting burn…
Enjoying the pool and getting bur…
Hotel elevator
Hotel elevator
Breakfast at the hotel
Breakfast at the hotel
Asri relaxing while I play in the …
Asri relaxing while I play in the…
Up to my neck in paradise!
Up to my neck in paradise!
Klapa