Day 5: Bali Bound; But First a Burial!

Jakarta Travel Blog

Rest in peace

Okay, so first I should explain this burial thing! On my last visit to Taipei I discovered this interesting little creature covered with white dots out on Brett and Erin's balcony. I guess it was something related to a beetle, but whatever it was, I decided it should be the official pet since Brett and Erin didn't have one. Appropriately, it was named Spot. Unfortunately, Spot didn't live out a full life and we found him dead before I left. And so, after returning to Taipei, poor Spot was still lying in the same place where I last saw him. Amazingly, not even the typhoons blew him away. And on this morning I was leaving, we gave him a proper burial in the flower pot! :)

After the services, I said good bye to Erin and then Brett and I were off to the airport. It's always sad saying good bye, but at the same time, I was very excited about the next leg of my journey.

Landing in Jakarta
..seeing Asri in Indonesia! Brett dropped me off at the airport (Terminal 1, the old airport) where I promptly checked in with China Airlines for my 6 hour flight to Jakarta. I called Asri on the phone to let her know everything was on time and that I'd be arriving in Jakarta around 1 PM. The flight was actually very nice...I sat right behind first class and nearly all the seats were empty toward the front of the main cabin. I had plenty of leg room and elbow room for a comfortable nap on the way. When we reached our flying altitude, breakfast was served. And after breakfast I went to sleep like a baby! I woke up about 2 hours from Jakarta, though, and was so excited about seeing Asri that I couldn't sit still! Those last two hours dragged by.
Asri with her TB cookie from Alice

Finally we arrived in Jakarta! I wasted little time getting off the plane and everything went quite smooth going through customs and immigration. And then everything stalled when I arrived at the baggage claim. I called Asri and told her I would be out in a few minutes; was just waiting on my suitcase. But then it took a half hour for all the luggage to start coming out. At last I spotted my red luggage and I zipped out to arrivals trying to spot Asri among the hundreds of faces waiting behind the gates. As I was glancing around, I heard her call out my name.....and there she was! I raced over to her, dropped my luggage, and gave her a giant hug! Asri had her luggage with her also; as we would be catching a later flight to Bali together.

Welcome to Bali!
The last time we had seen each other was right here in this same airport, where we spent several hours in the airport's hotel lounge. It was only appropriate that we should spend a couple more hours there as we waited on our flight. We got our boarding passes for Bali first, then waited in the lounge until around 5.

Our flight to Bali was aboard Garuda Airlines, and I was surprised we were served a meal on such a short flight. It took about 1.5 hours to get into Bali, but with Asri sitting beside me it felt like 1.5 minutes! Asri already had arranged for a driver to pick us up and take us to the Mercure hotel. Everything went flawless from plane to taxi to hotel. We arrived at the Mercure sometime after 8 PM. The hotel staff welcomed us in the lobby and served us tropical drinks as we checked in.

Poor Spot