5 nights in Berlin

Berlin Travel Blog

Finally I land at Berlin Schonefeld at 19:30, after a 1-hour delay at Bristol International. This will be my first time in Berlin, but my second trip to Germany, as the first was travelling by coach through Germany to Austria.

I already planned to use the S-Bahn 9 to Alexanderplatz, known as Alex by locals, then change to the U-Bahn 2 heading towards Pankow, and getting off at Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz, followed by a short walk to Schoenhouse Apartments, where I be staying for the next 5 nights. But work on the S-Bahn 9, meant my travel plans were disrupted.

I was told to catch the 20:25 DB regional train to Lichenberg and then change to S-Bahn 5 or 7 to Alex. On purchasing my single ticket for zones ABC for €2.80, I headed out of the airport to the station.

Finding the right platform was the hard bit, as I wasn’t given the platform number, so I followed everyone else to the wrong platform, thinking some maybe going to Alex. This was a mistake, no one was going to Alex, so I had to walk around. By the time I found the right platform, the train already arrived. The worrying thing is, I seem to be the only person heading towards this train.

I missed the departing S-Bahn 5 and 7 at Lichenberg, and after a few minutes on a cold platform, S-Bahn 7 pulled into the station displaying Alexanderplatz. Alex was only a few stops away, so I quickly arrived before having to find U-Bahn 2 that would take me to Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz.

Noticing the sign on the platform to the exit to Schönhauser Allee, walked up the steps onto Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz, crossed over Torstrasse onto Schönhauser Allee to find 185, my apartment block address number.

As I was arriving late in the evening, and the reception closed. I was given instructions where I could find my deposited room key with my personal code, before I left the UK. Upon successfully opening the key box, where I was given even more instructions with directions and a map, to the side of the building, where I gained access.

I reached my Senior II apartment, number 113 after nearly 2 hours of travelling since buying my travel ticket. I crashed out on my bed, just after 22:30 and fell asleep, only to be disturbed by strange dreams, even which continued after waking up many times throughout the night.
Berlin Hotels & Accommodations review
Apartments in Prenzlauer Berg
I enjoyed my stay at the apartments, as it's another alternative to a hotel room. I arrived late in the evening, after reception closed, and found… read entire review