no elephants, part two

Boromo Travel Blog

We considered a couple of options for my last three days in Burkina. The Dogon country in Mali. I really want to go there, but preferably for a longer time. Or Nazinga in the south, to see wildlife. Or back to Gorom Gorom for the thursday market. In the end we decided to go to Boromo. It's not far from Ouaga, so we wouldn't have to spend all day in the car, and I had pleasant memories of it from my first trip to Burkina, in november 2008.

Not much had changed since our last visit. The campement at Kaïcedra, inside the Deux Balés forest, was still not finished, so we couldn't stay there overnight unless we camped. Last time we'd walked around for hours, looking for elephants, and not seen any. That was at the beginning of the dry season, and we'd been told the end of the dry season we'd have better luck, but now also the chance of seeing them seemed slim. They had been seen drinking near the campement in the morning, but then gone off deeper into the forest. And last time it had been the cool season and still very hot to walk around the brousse, so we decided not to stay there and head somewhere else instead.

photo by: seraphimkarlien