Ouaga --> Bani

Ouagadougou Travel Blog

I was happy to leave Ouagadougou. Big cities are pretty much the same all over the world. But on the busride, I really felt like I was in Africa. You know, the way I'd always imagined it. Beautiful scenery, donkey carts, children playing in ponds. Something that struck me was how few cars we saw - a handful at most after leaving Ouaga. Just public transport, mopeds, bicycles, donkey carts and pedestrians. No huge carbon footprints here. And yet, West Africa is allready one of the biggest victims of global warming, and I shudder to think what will happen in the next years and decades.

On a brighter note, when we were about halfway, my boyfriend received a phone call from the Belgian embassy. He'd applied for a visa in early july, and after months of waiting, his application had been refused, for bogus reasons really, mainly missing documents that we did submit. The people at the embassy had told me that we could fight the decision (it wasn't theirs but the foreigners' service in Belgium), but it could easily take a year, or he had to submit a new application with some extra documents, which is what he was going to do. But now the lady who called told him that they had protested against the foreigners' service themselves, and they had changed their mind, so he would get his visa!

Needless to say, we celebrated when we got to Bani. There's only one pub in the village, and it rarely even has cold beer, but this day there was an ample supply of it :D

Ouagadougou