Lobi country

Gaoua Travel Blog

mango trea

In the afternoon, Pathé's friend Larry took us for a tour around the area. He took us to the house of a Lobi family, who allowed tourist to take a look inside. I felt quite uncomfortable going inside someone's house and looking at it like it's a museum, even though it was interesting. I guess it may have been different if we had sat down and talked to them first, but now it just felt wrong, I wouldn't want anyone to look around my house like that. So I definitely didn't want to take pictures.

Lobi society is matriarchal, children get their mother's last name and the house belongs to the women, even though several wives of the same man do share a house. So I guess it's really the first wife who's in charge. When a boy turns 18, he gets his own bedroom, until he finds a wife, and therefore a house, of his own. Outside there were a couple of fetishes protecting the family, and a grave which was covered by a metal lid with some plates in it, so the dead would not go hungry.

I made a fool of myself by not being able to climb the stair thingy to the roof from inside the house. I noticed later that it was easier to put your feet sidewards and not climb it with the tips of your toes like I did, but when I managed to get to the top, I still didn't understand how to get onto the roof from there :O

Afterwards we went to a pottery village, which I didn't really find very interesting, except for the local beer you could buy there. It's made of millet and tastes more like cider than like beer really, but it was nice. I wish we could've spent some more time just sitting there drinking, but my boyfriend was hungry, so in a hurry to get back to Gaoua to eat, and he was afraid the water the beer was brewed with would make me sick.

photo by: Saskia007