On the boat to Norway, from Newcastle to Bergen via Stavanger and Haugesunt

Bergen Travel Blog

Land Ahoi (Stavanger)

I can remember from the past that I got very bored on the boat. Only after twenty minutes I had seen everything and sailing on an empty lake or see was terribly boring.
The boat to Norway takes a whole night and the biggest part of the day. And yet it isn't boring (anymore??).

On the boat is enough to do: shopping in different shops, have tea or coffee in one of the bars, eat in the restaurants, and sit and watch the world go by. (and for the kids there is the Pirates club).

The first stop is Stavanger. Near Stavanger patches of land pop above sea level, little islands greet us. When we see the land, coloured houses stand on green grass or on rocks near extremely calm water (just like scenery on a model train)

It seems to take much to long to stop to have some cars unloaded, but from the top we have a great view.

Stavanger

In Haugesunt it is the same procedure, only the sea is different, it is calm, but it is like we sail on sweet water (but we aren't:)

In Bergen we have to get out. it is about 5 o'clock. Customs are helped by a young policeman, who is friendly, but doesn't know that there are identity-cards and passports. After some time we may continue to our camping.

Driving in Norway:) another speed every 200 metres, 50, 80, 60, 70, 60, it goes on and on, as if drivers need to be told before every bend how fast they may go.
And every second kilometre you will find a tunnel: a great way to take a shortcut.

We come to our camping and find our wandlerhutte. A nice and clean cabin, built to be lived in by a family.

Stavanger
Here we need nothing, but we hear that you have to bring pots ande pans and knives and forks to your house (something we haven't even thought of).

The first stop today (evening) is McDonald:) that is situated in a really nice house. We have Big Mac menu's and McNuggets. The second stop was almost the hospital (coronary surgery: I have never ever had a bill this big at a MD) but the tasty hamburgers ...

We walk around in the historical town and harbour. The water is high here, no wonder people are concerned with sea level rising in the coming century. The old wooden houses are well kept. I'm sorry to have no pics.

Back on the camping I ask about how to pay for the toll for the roads, but they told me not to bother as a foreigner:) (and I never heard of it again)

They say it rains every day in Bergen, so we had a bit of rain around nine pm. After the rain it stayed light awfully long, so we walked around the camping to the lake, and until late we had some wine with a nice German couple.

Stavanger quai
Stavanger quai
Stavanger, like scenery HO train
Stavanger, like scenery HO train
Haugesunt
Haugesunt, can you read the passpo…
Haugesunt, can you read the passp…
photo by: CFD