No Delhi Belly!

New Delhi Travel Blog

I worked in Mumbai for a month in the late 90's and quite honestly hated it. I was sick as a dog most of the time and really didn't like the city when I got the chance to explore on days off. The Poverty,smell,pollution and overcrowding put me off visiting India until this trip came up and I decided I wanted to see some Tigers in the wild whilst there were some still left.

Arriving in Delhi today, there was time to freshen up before an afternoon tour of colonial New Delhi. The Indian capital is essentially a city divided in two: a magnificent living monument to the grandiose designs of the Mughals and the British.

New Delhi, the setting for this afternoon’s tour, was the creation of the British Raj of the 1930s and its streets are filled with a rich collection of the architectural creations of Edward Lutyens.

Our tour this afternoon includes many of the sites of New Delhi and give us the opportunity to see for ourselves this vibrant city of bustling bazaars and historic sites: the ideal place to begin our journey. Following the broad expanse opf the Rajpath (Kingsway), we will visit the towering memorial arch of the India Gate, a testament to the 90,000 Indian troops who lost their lives during WWI and the fighting along the Northwest Frontier during the early years of the 20th century.

We also visit the imposing buildings of the Indian Parliament, as well as the Mughal majesty of Humayun’’s Tomb, a 16th century mausoleum commissioned by the emperor’s Persian born wife and considered by many to be one of the best examples of Mughal architecture in the country.

Our final visit of the day is to the towering Qutb Minar, a spectacular 13th century edifice that heralded the final demise of the Hinud kings and the arrival of the Muslim sultans. Made of sandstone and marble it towers some 73m above the city. Delhi’s traffic is very busy so occasionally this effects our sightseeing tour but our guide does his best to make sure we see as much as possible. I was pleasantly suprised by New Delhi and much prefered it to Mumbai.

New Delhi