Hiking throughout New Zealand

New Zealand Travel Blog

The End of the Milford Trek

Whether a day trip on Mt. Taranaki or a several day trek on Milford - NZ is a paradise for hikers.
New Zealand is stunning - lush, beautiful, easy to hike & plan, and wonderfully accommodating to tourists.
We hiked both Mt. Taranaki - a day trip, and the Milford Trail - a multiple day trip.
Taranaki, or Mount Egmont, is awesome, just outside of New Plymouth on the North Island, an easy day trip with gorgeous vistas and incredible trails.
Milford took a bit more advance planning as there are only two ways to visit - as a single hiker, travelling from hut to hut with prearranged approval, or on a 'deluxe' group hike, also prearranged. We chose the 'deluxe' hike, which meant we had running water, electricity, cooked food, and a group of other hikers - around 40, with whom we had to make nice.
While I would have preferred the single hiker ambiance, I appreciated not having to carry my own food or wine and having a nice bed to lay my head on after a long day of fantastic walking.
I'd like to return to do some of the other NZ trails, but would caution the lone, luxury hiker to beware the group activities (singing around the campfire and stuff like that.) If you can carry your own stuff, do it.

vances says:
Great info...and amazing pictures --- thank you!
Posted on: Mar 08, 2010
We three on Mt. Taranaki
We three on Mt. Taranaki
When not hiking, theres other fun…
When not hiking, there's other fu…