Hiking the Cinque Terre Sentiero

Cinque Terre Travel Blog

Santa Margherita

The Italian Riviera - I never imagined it would be so beautiful.  Carol & I flew into Genoa and trained into Santa Margherita to meet up with Jac/Mom & Janine, who'd been touring around Tuscany the week prior to our meetup.  We met at our cute B&B in Santa Margherita and spent a couple of days allowing us to recover from our jet lag and our touring, respectively.  While in Santa Margherita, we did a wonderful walk to Portofino - an hour and a half there along the beautiful coast and back, after enjoying a few hours in the village.
From SM to Cinque Terre is a short train ride.

Portofino
  Janine had arranged for a B&B in Vernazza - so we headed there to settle in.  The B&B was up up up in the hills with a fantastic view of the sea.  A wonderful place to have wine and watch the sunset - especially after the hike just to get there!
With Vernazza as a base, we hiked all around Cinque Terre, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  One day we hiked to Monterosso al Mare - an easy walk in the sunshine - and enjoyed snacks and views (see my pics) on the beach.  Jac & I had dinner at a wonderful restaurant while Janine & Carol headed back to Vernazza.  While in Monterosso, I managed to drop my prescription glasses down the train station toilet - one of those keyhole toilets with no bowl to dig them out, although we tried.
Another day, we took the trail, again an easy one, from Vernazza to Manarola, via Corniglia.
View from trail
  The walks are beautiful, the vistas stunning, and the villages - well, what can I say?  When we arrive, we have to have a glass of wine, a bowl of mussels and a tiramisu - heaven.  That is fortification enough for the walk back.
One day, Carol & Janine hiked to Portovenere - a long hike (4-5 hours).  Jac & I took the boat :-) and enjoyed the village and boated back.
We also did a wonderful little walk, called Lover's Lane, from Manarola to Riomaggiore
It was the type of hiking we love - walk, views, tiramisu, views, cappucino, views, walk a little more, wine, views, mussels, views....
For those of us who enjoy hiking, dining, romantic villages, beautiful seascapes - Cinque Terre is the place to be.  I would love to return with my nieces.

Jac on Trail