Cruise to Cozumel, Mexico

Cozumel Travel Blog

One of the bands playing

Needing a break big time I took a cruise to Cozumel and Costa Maya Mexico thru Carnival Cruise Lines.  I booked the trip online, made airline tickets for the flights down and back and a hotel reservation for the day after the trip in New Orleans. For the cruise I made two off ship excursions one at Costa Maya and one at Cozumel.  The airline reservations and the hotel I made separate from the cruise. In retrospect I would have made the whole cruise through the cruise line.  Arriving at New Orleans airport there were representatives of the cruise line to help with transportation to the dock and ship. Since I did not have this prearranged I had to arrange it at the airport and at additional cost.

Arrival at the deportation port was well organized by the cruise line.

upper deck view
Luggage was tagged and remained for customs to review while I went through customs myself. The luggage was delivered later in the day at my cabin.

Having this being my first cruise, all was very interesting.  The ship having several decks was styled in many ways. Ballroom like stage, restaurants, shops, lounge, art galleries, and exercise room, just so many to tell about, if you haven’t done a cruise it’s hard to explain. My cabin was somewhat small, but traveling alone was just great. Had someone of the opposite sex been traveling with me, the cabin would have made for a romantic closeness that would have been great as well.

As I stated before I need a break big time. I as able to get some Sun and relax and had a choice of many decks. Of course the sun seems closer in Mexico than that Ohio … LOL  Although, I didn’t try to get burnt like some of the other travelers.

Towards evening the sun would bounce off of the blue waters of the ocean, you could get a tan just by setting in a chair on the deck. Dolphins seemed to follow the ship and danced in the waves.

Dinning in the restaurant with prearranged table seating was enjoyable. Meeting other people and sharing your views, life stories and travel is the best.  One couple was married and owned a business like me. We tried not to talk business … LOL  Another couple that were not married was enjoying the cruise immensely. A couple of lady friends traveling together and of course myself, made a defiant varied and diversified background in the seating arrangement. The food at dinner was always great and we had several selections… The lobster and the fish were fresh, the steaks excellent, but the deserts were to die for.

During the cruise to Cozumel and Costa Maya there were several activities to keep one entertained. Shows every night, many shops, exercise weight room, several bands on the in the different lounges and of course the gambling if your inclined to.

After traveling the first day and night the ship arrived at Costa Maya. Oh! I forgot to tell you the ship’s name, the fun ship Fantasy….LOL  My excursion to swim with the Dolphins was cancelled according to the cruise line due to over booking; thus, I took a different one called the “Beach Break”.  The beach break happened to be at the same beach as the “swim with the dolphins” excursion. Again, more relaxing and getting sun on a beach with white sands & free drinks.

My stop at Cozumel was somewhat disappointing only in the fact that my second excursion was cancelled. I had planned to see the Maya ruins. The cruise line stated that there were not enough booked to see the ruins to make it worthwhile, but I later found out that president Bush was in the area and visited the ruins. But not to be stopped, I did some shopping for those left behind bringing home my bounty from my trip.  So I picked up some clothes, a hat for the sun, of course jewelry for the ladies in my life and some of the local crafts.

Arriving in New Orleans again, I had scheduled a night out in this interesting city. Staying a Holiday Inn, lunch was at a Greek sandwich shop, but the real treat was dinner.  I made reservations and took a taxi to “Emerald’s” restaurant.  What a treat! The food was excellent to say the least.  Having a four course meal at Emeralds for just over a $100 for myself was worth it.

All in all my vacation to relax was well worth it. I would have like a travel buddy to come along the next time to share the experience, preferably of the opposite sex… lol

2,216 km (1,377 miles) traveled