From Nazca to Arequipa

Arequipa Travel Blog

Nazca rift

We left Nazca at 7.00 am. A long day of travelling ahead.

In advance I knew it would take about 12 hours (including some short stops) to get to our next destination, Arequipa. Didn’t expect to see such a beautiful landscape on our way as we followed the Panamericana Highway southward. From Nazca to Camaná (220 km/135 miles) you have the Atacama desert on your left hand and the Great Ocean on your right hand.

Our first stop was at the Nazca rift. At that moment realizing (again) we were travelling in an area which suffered many earthquakes.

Soon their was a traffic congestion. Not because of the number of cars and trucks, but because of the sand on the road.

Nazca rift
Part of the highway was blocked by sand. Cars and trucks had to pass each other one by one, only using one traffic lane. We Dutch could hardly understand this is one of (or the)  the most important highway of Peru.

Another stop was at a chapel were all drivers stop for their prayers for a save trip.

After a late lunch in Camaná (Hotel Touristica, good place to have lunch in the garden) we left the coast and started ascending (Arequipa is at about 2,800 metres). Soon we could see several volcano’s (from a distance).

We reached our hotel in the city centre of Arequipa at 6.30 pm. We would stat there for 3 nights so we had time to explore the city and could start to get used to higher altitudes.

That night I had ‘alpaca’ for dinner. Tastes very good! After dinner we went to the Plaza de Armas, what a gorgeous square!! We had coffee in an upstairs restaurant (under the arcades) and I just loved to watched the illuminated square with the cathedral taking one full side of it!

vances says:
Wow, I had never heard of eating alpaca before...but I suppose it is better than cuy, lol!
Posted on: Oct 18, 2009
Vulcano Misti
Vulcano Misti
My dinner: alpaca
My dinner: alpaca
Not my dish, but I tasted some cu…
Not my dish, but I tasted some 'c…
Cathedral Arequipa
Cathedral Arequipa
Plaza de Armas
Plaza de Armas
Cathedral
Cathedral
Arequipa Hostels review
Safe hostal, down town
In Arequipa, ‘the white city’, we were staying three nights in hostal “La Casa de mi Abuela” (Calle Jerusalem 606, Cercado, Arequipa). Big … read entire review
Arequipa