From Lima to Ica (Huacachina oasis)

Ica Travel Blog

We left Lima at 4.00 am. Breakfast stop somewhere on our way. After a couple of hours we reached Parasca where a boat was waiting to show us the Ballestas islands (‘Islas Ballestas’). First we saw the ‘Candelabro’, a candelabra-shaped drawing scratched onto a cliffside in the Paracas desert.

Reaching the Ballestas islands we saw thousands of birds (albatrosses, pelicans, boobies, cormorants, seagulls) and also penguins, seals and sea lions. The sound of all these birds is unforgettable!

In the 19th century the Ballestas had big business in ‘guano’, mineral-rich bird droppings used as fertilizer in Europe.

After the boat trip (which took about 2 hours) we left for Ica. Somewhere on our way we visited a bodega, not a wine but a pisco bodega. The process of making pisco was explained in a guided tour. And afterwards we had the change of tasting different kinds ;-)

As we reached Ica (Huacachina oasis resort) we had one more activity for this day: a buggy tour with the possibility for sand boarding. Actually I skipped the sand boarding, but the landscape (the enormous sand dunes) was spectacular!!

Vlindeke says:
David, I went with a Dutch company "Fox". But I guess the itinerary is pretty much the same with all of them. I agree, the buggy tour with sunset was just great :)
Posted on: Sep 12, 2010
davidx says:
Were you with Exodus - it sounds identical to our trip. I missed out on the sand boards as well but I loved the buggy - and seeing the sunset from high up.
Posted on: Sep 12, 2010
cneoridium says:
Wow, very nice! I remember trying to get to the coast from Lima when I was there maybe 20 years ago - got to the coast, but there wasn't much developed there at the time, just an occasional fishing camp, hard to get around without good maps so I figured I'd come back when there was more time to explore. Sounds like Ica's a good place to start... Great pictures!
Posted on: Dec 16, 2009
Tasting!
Laguna de Huacachina
Laguna de Huacachina
Ica Hotels & Accommodations review
Sand dunes in the back yard :-)
Arriving to Ica we thought we had reservations in Hotel Mossone at Huacachina oasis resort. But they turned out to be overbooked. So they directed us … read entire review
Ica