Mis Cumpleanos! y mi semana

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

the flamenco dancers
Today it's my birthday, so I'm doing one of my favorite native things to do, sitting in a cafe! I absolutely love their cafes and will miss them when I return to the USA. Let's see where I left off. We have had a lot of cultural activities this week, so I have lots to tell. Wednesday night we went to Cantares, a restaurant with flamenco performances. Flamenco is a form of Spanish dance and music. To me, it's like a Spanish form of tap dance. It was quite impressive. I took some videos with my camera. Their feet move so fast! Afterwards, some of us went out to this old-time cafe, Cafe Tortini. One of my friends was saying it was a cafe that she felt like you should go sit and write poerty in. I agree; it had quite an atmosphere. Thursday was a LONG day.
where we went to listen to tango
productive, but long. We had meetings from 9am to 6pm and CARI(Consejo Argentino para Relacionales Internacionales)-in english, a foreign relations organization. We had lectures and Q&A sessions with all sorts of people(ambassadors, counselors, businessmen, everyone) all on Argentina's role in nuclear nonproliferation and energy security. It was quite informative, and they made us feel important. We had translators and headsets and they had coffee breaks and lunch for us, and if I'm correct, they sponsored the whole thing. It was quite a day, and I got to practice some spanish with some of the people there who didn't speak english well. Afterwards, we went to a sports bar to watch the Boca game(we won!) and I finally got back to the residencia at 10. Then, since I hadn't had time in the morning...it was off to the gym with me! Friday was a relaxed day, I walked around Palermo(the neighborhood I live in) with some friends and shopped a little. Last night, we went to a restaurant with live tango music. I absolutely love tango. It is such a passionate music and dance. I need to get started on my lessons! It was a good start to my bday(we were there til 1:30-I'm telling you they stay out late, another performance was beginning!). So far today, all I've done is sit in my cafe, but I'll surely do some bday celebrating tonight. Maybe I can get some friends to go out to dinner :) thanks mom!
oravitz says:
Hey Jill, happy belated birthday! I was just checking out your pictures and stories and find them really enjoyable. How long are you going to be there? What an experience for you! I was glad your mom sent us your web site. Take care! Tim & Rita Oravitz from way far away little 'ole Beaver Falls, PA
Posted on: Jun 14, 2007