El Primero Visto

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

just a cool looking street
I’m officially out of the country. Woot!(that was for you, Mandy). Our flight was delayed last night due to a storm for an hour, but since I ended up with an empty seat next to me, I forgave the crew. After five hours of airplane sleep and two meals later, we landed at Ezeiza Airport, Buenos Aires. We arrived at the residencia with just enough time to unpack and go meet Bowman(professor and director of the trip). He gave us a “push start” to learning the city, then we were on our own. Some of us headed out to a hippie fair nearby(turned out it was just vendors on the side of the road). We quickly learned the importance of watching where you step, as there is dog crap on the sidewalks. I also noticed the difference in dress between people here and the U.
the parks nearby
S.A. At home, not only do people dress more comfortably, but there is a typical style. Here, people dress stylishly and uniquely. After the quick view of the hippie fair, we sat down to eat outside at a restaurant called Prologo. While there we had more than 5 people solicit us for money. I hate saying no to people, so I let my companions do the job for me, or merely pretended not to know Spanish. That bit me in the butt, when as a lady was walking away I remarked “That’s when it’s good to know English,” meaning that I could fake not knowing Spanish. She apparently thought I was saying that she should know English, so she whipped around and says “ I do know English.” Oops, go Jill. My table of three chose to take a walk down Avenida de Santa Fe and look at all the shops. We found a pretty big mall (AutoPalermo), and went in to look around. I decided not to buy anything for the first few days, as everything right now is interesting to me. About the clothing, however, it is true that the sizes are MUCH smaller here, and you see very few overweight and obese people. I feel as though I will lose weight merely from walking as much as we do here. I have already walked 4miles today. Plus, if you choose to walk to the university rather than take the Subte(subway), it’s a 40min to an hour walk. Calorie burn here we come. Anyway, I’m going to get ready for a bbq that we’re having tonight, but I’ll keep you updated!
MomDavis says: