Thankful to say “hi” to new lands…

Highlands Travel Blog

A long day, but one leaving me poised to check out fresh turf.  Thanksgiving is family time, so a bit awkward being the first after my divorce.  Oddly enough, I headed over to my exes place for an early feast with her and our daughter - the good news is we remain friendly.  But I needed to get out of dodge quickly to begin a seven hour road trip to the opposite end of the state.

My destination was Highlands, sitting 4,100’ above sea level at the southern tip of the Blue Ridge Mountains in far west North Carolina.  And to reinforce family time, the destination made it on my radar from my marriage.  I had purchased Kim a GC for Old Edwards Inn, located in Highlands, several years ago after learning the lodge was the only spa / resort to ever earn a perfect “100” from Conde Nast magazine.  She rendezvoused with a friend of ours from Maine for a girl’s weekend and they both raved about Old Eddy and Highlands.  Apparently it was a splendid mountain top village surrounded by quality hiking trails and waterfalls.

Sounded like a terrific place to get into the Christmas Spirit, so I decided to capitalize on the long holiday weekend.

Highlands is rather remote.  There is no airport and regardless of which direction you approach by car, you will be faced with fifty to sixty miles of winding up and down mountain roads.  Of course I had no timetable and the only dilemma during the twisting and turning finale was that it was dark and I felt I was missing the sights.  There was virtually no traffic, which was good since the posted speed limit probably averaged about 35mph.

Better yet, once I arrived, weak and weary, my lodging choice was quite accommodating and quickly had me checked in and off to a snug, warm bed.  See 200 Main review, below.

Vikram says:
Vikram says:
Posted on: Dec 18, 2014
Highlands Hotels & Accommodations review
It's the Main Thing
A much enjoyed hotel for three nights during a visit to Highlands. As of 2014 a newer facility that sits just past the hill on Main Street (a sprawli… read entire review
Highlands Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
It’ll do
In a town with so many fantastic eateries, the best thing I can say about Creekside is that it offers a good value for the money, and you will drop a … read entire review
photo by: vances