Seafood Wagon

Raleigh Travel Blog

Destined to head inland for holiday celebrations this year, I decided to share my hometown’s seafood bounty across the state.  The primary destination was Asheville, where I would rendezvous with Laura for Christmas.  Oddly (and conveniently) enough, it is a seven hour drive from both Indianapolis and Wilmington.

Serendipity was on my side as Eric was coming down from Boston to visit his mom (my ex-wife).  With all the kids together (Eric, my other stepson Chip and his wife Simoni, and our daughter Spencer), I was invited to share in our traditional Christmas affair.  We always enjoyed a massive seafood feast Christmas Eve, followed by playing cards and we just bumped it up a day so I could crash for the night and continue west to Asheville the next day.

I headed for Raleigh after lunch on Wednesday, stopping at my local seafood purveyor as I headed north to load up.  I got a half bushel of oysters (one peck of local and one peck of Pamlico Sound) for Raleigh.  For Asheville I iced down grouper and cobia filets, two pounds of jumbo shrimp and a half pound of crab meat.  Let the holidays begin!

It was a splendid evening in Raleigh.  We steamed the oysters, which were supplemented by Kim’s excellent cooking.  She went on a wild trip to Nepal and Bhutan this fall, so one serving was a delicious reproduction of a hot pepper dish she had enjoyed there.  Balance of the evening was a round of poker (won by yours truly) and two matches of Spite & Malice (ladies night – Kim and Simoni split honors here).

Raleigh