Blowing in the Wind

Wilkesboro Travel Blog

I was supposed to rendezvous with Laura for a long weekend in NOLA.  Oh, those best laid plans.  Monster rain storms were forecast, growing darker as travel dates neared.  At the last moment we agreed to ditch the Louisiana itinerary because it appeared we would only languish in airports trying to arrive and even if successful, would be doomed to hotel lobbies for the stay.

Since I had taken Friday off from work (and promised my neighbor she could swipe my Saturday + Sunday newspapers) it seemed a road trip was due, and I dearly love the western reaches of my home state.  Did not take long, because the answer, my friend, was blowin’ in the rock.  Blowing Rock is nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains with plenty of waterfalls and hiking opportunities nearby, so I booked a pair of nights despite an iffy weather forecast.  If nothing else, the ramble would afford a chance to have lunch with my daughter on the Sunday return.

Disembarked Friday morning with the intent of making Blowing Rock in time to sneak a short hike in.  I rolled along until Wilkesboro.  I had been zipping along four lane highways, but here the route cut through the heart of town and a visible stretch of red lights suggested an interruption of speedy progress.  As good a place as any to stop for lunch and I pulled off when a BBQ joint caught my eye.

Wilkesboro Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Pigging Out
I adore how impulsive gestures so often yield learning experiences. Tipton’s exuded a “non-chain” atmosphere as I creeped by, so I pulled in fo… read entire review
Wilkesboro