A walk around Kortrijk

Kortrijk Travel Blog

One of the delights of Belgium is the beauty of small towns that I'd never heard of before moving here. It is safe to say that Kortrijk is well off the international travel route, but it stands up well against tourist hot-spots like Bruges. We were lucky enough to have our own knowledgeable guide to show us the highlights of the city - including a World Heritage-listed Beguinage and Belfry and the beautiful Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk (Church of Our Lady).

A highlight for me was seeing the Golden Spurs hanging from the chapel roof of Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk. The Battle of the Golden Spurs was a famous battle between Flemish commoners and French knights on July 11th, 1302. Being lowly commoners, the Flemish didn't realise that after winning they were meant to only kill foot soldiers and ransom off the highborn knights, instead killing the lot and keeping the golden spurs of the knights as a symbol of their victory. It is still odd for me to see history over 700 years old in the form of golden spurs hanging from the ceiling of a building that watched it all go by, rather than as a story pieced together from myth and archeological evidence.
Kortrijk