My favourite Belgian beers

Brussels Travel Blog

Duvel. Duvel is probably the beer I drink the most, as it is the easiest found quality Belgian beer, and very affordable. It was the first strong blond to be brewed and is very easy to drink, so you only realise after your second or third Duvel that at 8.5% every glass has the same amount of alcohol as 2.5 shots of vodka.

Cantillon Gueuze Lambic. This is a beautiful beer made by a Brussels brewery that tastes more like a sour cider than like a hopsy beer. It is definitely a brewery in the traditional style, with open fermentation and old wood, the type Victor Hugo spoke of approvingly when he lived in Brussels ("It smells of dead mice; delightful!").

Hoegaarden. I know, this is a mass produced beer by the largest beer company in the world, but on a warm day I love the slightly citrus wheat flavour of a chilled Hoegaarden.

Floris Passion Fruit. My beer guide of Belgium specifically refuses to include this beer on the grounds that it isn't really a beer, it is an alcoholic wheat drink mixed with passion fruit syrup. That may be so, but it is delicious, probably the only beer that Lydia and I both like. It is just like drinking Passiona and it is so easy to drink litres and litres.

Kasteel Rouge. This is another fruit lambic, but very different from the light syrup lambics like Kriek. Instead the Kasteel Rouge is not overpoweringly sweet, with a rich deep cherry flavour more like a sweet dessert wine or a cherry liquor than a beer.
ik-ben-10eke says:
Ehh... I like the gueuze types of beer :)
Maybe I will try that Floris passion fruit stuff one day, sounds like a nice drink.
Posted on: Nov 23, 2009