Like Disneyland, but cold and bilingual

Disneyland Paris Travel Blog

With military precision Lydia planned our trip to Disneyland Paris. Down to extra fast-passes bought off eBay from a disgruntled Disneyland employee to toe warmers and charts of waiting times on various rides, we were set to go to the ice-encrusted amusement park.

We turned up at the gates at 8am, wrapped up against the cold and the only ones in the park. Walking down "Mainstreet USA" the shops were all closed and there wasn't another person in sight (a more accurate depiction of Mainstreet than in Disneyland LA?). We went on Space Mountain 2 again and again, without ever waiting in line. When the other rides opened we went on all of them too - never waiting more than 15 minutes. We visited Disney's Hollywood studios as well - the Tower of Terror is a classic and the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster was fantastic (higher G forces than a space shuttle launch).
Luckily we had young friends with us so that I could ride the fast rides while Lydia soaked up Disneyland "culture" (she proudly told me that Disneyland got the guy who had restored the stainglass windows of Notre Dame de Paris to come out of retirement to do the windows for Sleeping Beauty's Castle).

The rides were all the same (except not so old and shabby looking), but it was quite odd hearing Buzz Lightyear and others speak in French. Lydia and I were very amused that the English components of the parade had a strong Australian accent, even when the speaker would say a few English words ("Disneyland Paris") in the other languages.
troysgonewalkabout says:
You never waited more than 15 minutes? Wow, next time I go in winter! I went on a Saturday in September and the only time the lines were that short was from 8pm till closing...
Posted on: Feb 17, 2010