Cologne Christmas Markets

Cologne Travel Blog

We had a wonderful weekend exploring the Christmas markets of Cologne and Aachen. Cologne is famous for its Christmas markets - it now has seven markets and two million visitors explore them every year. We spent the day shopping and grazing out way across the markets with Ellie. The first stop was the Cathedral Markets, under the soot encrusted towering peaks of the grand Dom. Hot chocolate and garlic bread fueled our walk to the Alter Markt, a themed market decorated with gnomes. It is so wonderful to  see crowds of people mingling and enjoying being outside in the cold, warmed only by thick coats and mulled wine. Winter could be such a dour time in Europe, instead there is laughter and joy.
The cold keeps the ice skating rinks open and the dark just allows artificial stars to twinkle in the sky.

The next port of call were the Floating Markets, held on riverboats docked on the Rhine, where Lydia found a new scarf and gloves, including her latest toy the twinned glove for holding hands in the cold. The boat next to the markets was flying the Swiss flag, which made me wonder whether the boat owner was Swiss, or whether the Swiss flag was being used in solidarity for anti-Muslim intolerance. I wonder how the Swiss would feel about people attaching such a dual meaning to their flag? From the Floating Markets we ventured to the Medieval Christmas Market, where we drank Vikings Blood and played mouse roulette.

After Ellie had to return to Brussels we wandered through the markets a bit longer, and Lydia spoiled me rotten by buying me a new camera - the smooth and crystal clear Canon Eos 50. Hopefully the photos do the camera justice. We finished up the night with train to Aachen and a relaxing Sauna in our hotel room, the most relaxing end to a peaceful day.
Adrian_Liston says:
I'm also a fan of all the festival beers :)
ik-ben-10eke says:
The Cologne Christmas markets are just great! Did you get your mulled wine or punch mug? Each market has their own, and every year they are slightly different.
yheleen says:
Merry Christmas! I never had a winter Christmas before...;) it would be great to experience one...
photo by: lauro