Space Needle and Pike Place Market

Seattle Travel Blog

Me at the Space Neddle

What a long day but it was well worth it. Arrived in Seattle with know problems. The clouds and rain cleared as the plane was coming in for a landing and it stayed that way for about four hours. I picked up my rental car at enterprise with no problems. Drove from SEATAC on interstate 5 to downtown and the hotel with no problems. Everything today has gone quite well. The hotel is very basic but nice. The room is clean and the beds are comfortable. After checking in and doing a little unpacking I headed out on the town. My first stop was the Space Needle. The sun was out and the rain was gone. It was about a half mile walk from the hotel.

Space Needle Ticket
After sitting in the plane all day it felt good to do some walking. I been wanting to see the Space Needle for so long I could not believe that I was standing infront of it. It is such an icon of the city of Seattle.  It cost $16.00 for the trip up. The line for the elevator was not to long, it moved fast. The views from the top were awesome. You can see the complete city. I looked for Mount Rainier but it was hidden in the clouds. I was a little huingry so I had a yogurt and a expresso then it was off to the elevator down to the gift shop. They took a picture of you with the Seattle skyline in the background before you go up. The pictures can be picked up in the giftshop. I had to get one. I bought Mike a t-shirt. It was time to go. I took a few pictures of the Sci-Fi Museum and the Music Expierence and then it was time to take a ride on the monorail back towards the hotel.
Space Needle
It's a one mile track that runs from the City Center(Space Needle) to the Westlake Center. Which is only a few blocks from my hotel. I stopped by the hotel to drop off my packages and change into a heavy sweater. It was getting colder and the rain was coming down harder. I was getting hungry so I headed down towards Pike Place Market. Only five or six blocks. I saw a Harley Davidson store and I had to by a t-shirt for my brother-n-law. Back to the food.....I ended up eating at Genghis Khan Restaurant. I had General Tsao's Chicken. Good stuff!! After dinner it was time to head back to the hotel and update my blog and download pictures. The first day has been really good. Tomorrow back to Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, Seattle Aquarium, Freemont Troll, and Gas Light Park.

Space Needle - The symbol of Seattle is located at the Seattle Center, it was built for the 1962 World's Fair, during which time nearly 20,000 people a day used the elevators, with over 2.

Space Needle
3 million visitors in all for the World Fair. The Space Needle is 605 feet high at its highest point and 138 feet wide at its widest point and weighs 9,550 tons. When it was completed it was the tallest structure west of the Mississippi River. It is built to withstand winds of up to 200 mph and earthquakes of up to 9.1 magnitude. (which would protect the structure against an earthquake as powerful as the 1700 Cascadia earthquake). The tower also has 25 lightning rods on its roof to prevent lightning damage.

The Space Needle features an observation deck at 520 feet, and a gift shop with the rotating SkyCity restaurant at 500 feet. From the top of the Needle, one can see not only the Downtown Seattle skyline, but also the Olympic and Cascade Mountains, Mount Rainier, Mount Baker, Elliott Bay and surrounding islands.

Me at the Space Needle.
Photographs of the Seattle skyline often show the Space Needle in a prominent position, even appearing to tower above the rest of the city's skyscrapers, as well as Mount Rainier in the background. This occurs because the tower, which is equivalent in height to a 60-story building, stands roughly four-fifths of a mile northwest of most downtown skyscrapers.

Visitors can reach the top of the Space Needle via elevators that travel at 10 mph. The trip takes 43 seconds, and some tourists wait in hour-long lines in order to ascend to the top of the tower. On windy days, the elevators are slowed down to a speed of 5 mph. The Space Needle was designated a historic landmark on April 19, 1999 by the City's Landmarks Preservation Board.

sylviandavid says:
wow... you really did a lot... sounds like fun! sylvia
Posted on: Nov 11, 2009
View from my hotel.
View from my hotel.
Monorail Ticket
Monorail Ticket
Seattle Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Asian Food Delight
The place was quite and I was the ony one inside eating. I had the Mandarin Chicken(General Tsao) with white rice. Hot tea and a diet coke. The food w… read entire review
Seattle Hotels & Accommodations review
Sixth Avenue Inn
The hotel is in a great location. My room was clean and the bed was very comfortable!! My room only had a shower and that worked for me. I never used … read entire review
Seattle Hotels & Accommodations review
Close to everything
The location is great. Close to the Space Needle, EMP, Pacific Science Center, Hop on the monorail and it will take you to the Westlake Shopping cente… read entire review
Seattle