Seattle is the Emerald City and the Tacoma Narrows Bridge

Seattle Travel Blog

The best of Seattle

Twenty years ago today the Berllin wall fell. What a great day for the world.

What a great visit it has been. Other than Saturday, the rain went away and I got to take some great photos. My favorite highlights of the trip would be the Space Needle and Cape Flattery and Hobuck Beach at Olympic National Park.

I'm getting started early again this morning. I have one more thing I want to see before I go. I know I have done so much already. I will head South on I-5 towards SEATAC but I will pass it and head towards Tacoma. I want to see the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. It is only a fifty minute drive and I will give myself a little extra time due to the Monday morning rush hour.

Tacoma Narrows Bridge
  What an awesome structure!! Heading West on Hwy 16 there is no toll. Coming back East there is a $4.00 toll. I had a hard time finding a place to stop and take pictures. After driving around and doing some investigating, I found a small park. It was a nice little walk down to the water and the great view I was looking for.

The original Tacoma Narrows Bridge opened on July 1, 1940, and dramatically collapsed into Puget Sound on November 7 of the same year. The suspension bridge spanned the Tacoma Narrows strait between Tacoma and the Kitsap Peninsula, in the United States. Its replacement was opened in the same location in 1950, and a second, parallel bridge opened in 2007. The instability in winds inspired the nickname Galloping Gertie.

The bridge's collapse had a lasting effect on science and engineering.

Tacoma Narrows Bridge
In many physics textbooks the event is presented as an example of elementary forced resonance with the wind providing an external periodic frequency that matched the natural structural frequency, even though its real cause of failure was aeroelastic flutter. Its failure also boosted research in the field of bridge aerodynamics-aeroelastics, the study of which has influenced the designs of all the world's great long-span bridges built since 1940.

It's 10:00am and i'm at SEATAC eating some Ivan's fried clams and chips. It's really good. I used Enterprise for my rental car. Everyone was very helpful and pleasent. The car company is off site and you use the airport shuttle to get back and forth. I was not to sure I would like this until I turned the car in. It worked out great with no problems.

I'll be flying Continental Airlines again using the same route I flew in on.

Tacoma Narrows Bridge
Seattle, Houston, Tampa. Flight 1766.

SEATTLE IS THE EMERALD CITY!!!!!

My flight leaves around noon and I should be home around 10:30 tonight eastern time.  And now that it is time to fly back home.....Hurricane Ida is looming in the Gulf of Mexico. I'm looking at the Weather Channel and it looks like it is going to miss Tampa. You never know??

It's good to be back home. The flight with Continental Airlines was great!!  No problems at all, the flight attendents were very friendly.  I appreciated everyone's smiles and comments on my trip to Seattle. You guys are fantastic, thanks again!!

You finally get home from an awesome trip, You're tired and you know you have to wash all those clothes you brought with you on your trip. I hate that. I got back home at 10:30pm Monday night. I have to be back at work on Tuesday morning at 8:00am. I have off on Wednesday because of Veteran's Day holiday. That's the day I will wash all my clothes.

vulindlela says:
Nice blog!
If you ever go back, there is a park byt the bridge, called Pt Defiance.
It is very nice!