Taking a closer look ...

Frankfurt Oder Travel Blog

River Oder
After we hadn't seen for ages I was really keen on meeting a friend of mine that day! We decided to strolling through the town of Frankfurt (Oder) 'cause my friend hasn't been there before. How's that possible? Well, not entirely sure, but it definitely was. As it's often (and sadly) the case, we're extremely into travelling around the wide world but do not know our local surroundings very well. Finding out more about the own home region can also be a worthwhile pastime, though.
We walked around, chatted a lot, took photos and had a tasteful snack at an Italian restaurant - it was definitely a relaxing way to spend a sunny Saturday morning!

Frankfurt (Oder) is a town with a long history, that's provided with some intriguing facts. The town's located on the River Oder, which's the natural border to Poland.
Frankfurt was a member of the Hanseatic League from the 14th to the 16th century, in the beginning of the 16th century the first university of Brandenburg (nowadays that's the renowned Viadrina European University) was founded there and during World War II a few dramatic battles took place there.
No doubt, Frankfurt isn't the most popular destination for tourists but nonetheless architecturally lovely constructed buildings like the Neo-Gothic post office and the Gothic town hall, cultural events and charming caf├ęs and restaurants are just a couple of neat impressions to enjoy.
huibdos says:
Bill, Germany IS the garden of eden between Euphrat and Tigris locally referred to as Oder and Rhine:)
Posted on: Oct 17, 2009
bkretzer says:
Hi Kora, I have ties Frankfurt Odor. My Grandmother, along with her mother and grandfather, had made a long, arduous, and tragic trip from the Volga region of Russia, back in 1921-23. There trek took them through Poland, and to a refugee camp in Frankfurt. They were put up in a place that had been barracks for WW I soldiers. After their delays in Russia and Poland, they thought Germany was the Garden of Eden.
Posted on: Oct 14, 2009
Jeroenadmiraal says:
Hehe. I have also seen only a little bit of holland while I travel to the most far-off places in the world. Therefore I have started this autumn to visit some more dutch cities and take pictures as a tourist. (sometimes even other tourists approach me to ask me where they are on the map)
Posted on: Oct 11, 2009
The Cathoclic church
The Cathoclic church
A creatively designed facade
A creatively designed facade
Frankfurt Oder Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
A short trip to Italy
'Fratelli' is a charming Italian restaurant, which spreads this special Mediterranean flair just when you enter the location that is situated in the … read entire review
Frankfurt Oder Sights & Attractions review
Always worth a snapshot
Churches aren't just a religious place even though that's what they are meant to be in the first place. These buildings reveals lots of historical inf… read entire review
Frankfurt Oder