My 8 night adventure at the all-inclusive Hedonism III resort in Runaway Bay, Jamaica-2009

Runaway Bay Travel Blog

15 acres of paradise
Jamaica & Hedonism Blog April 25 to May 3, 2009    Day 1 Saturday, April 25, 2009    Well, after working late into the night on some last minute travel arrangements for some long-time clients, my plan to spend the night at the La Quinta (park and fly) hotel near the Tampa Airport finally came to fruition. Unfortunately, my wakeup call at 4:30 a.m. came too soon and it was off on a shuttle to Tampa International Airport and a short flight to Miami on American Airlines at 6:30 a.m.     An uneventful 41 minutes later I arrived in Miami but had a nearly a 4.5 hour lay-over until my connector to Montego Bay, Jamaica. That Florida-Jamaica 71 minute flight too was uneventful and landing in Sangster Int’l Airport then meant about 30 minutes in the immigration line (3 flights landed nearly at the same time) and then after baggage claim and a short wait in the customs line, I was whisked through once the customs official saw I was a veteran Jamaica traveler, a professional and had nothing but costumes in my luggage.
Pools, jacuzzi, beaches...
A stop and check in at the SuperClubs lounge, some water and then a short wait for the shuttle bus to take me and others to both Breezes and Hedonism III resorts. Note: There is a new (small) Margaritaville bar just outside the exit doors behind the SuperClubs lounge. The bus trip was almost 2 hours as we had a stop for a restroom break and a chance to buy a drink and/or some souvenirs along the way. We were also slightly delayed due to the clearing of an accident from earlier that day on rain-slicked roads that unfortunately took the lives of 3 people. :-( After the drop-off of Breezes guests, it was onto Hedo III about 5 minutes away and a brief but joyous check-in (and my 1st glass of champagne for the day) as I met with staff and especially Leejay who welcomed me back as family.
Prude, nude and clothing optional
:-) My journey had taken a total of 12 hours! (minus the 1 hour time difference in Jamaica��"Central time vs. my Eastern time) but the airline price was right as I used American Airlines vouchers provided after they lost my luggage on one of my European trips last year. After a short walk with the porter to my usual room #715 (ground floor in the au naturel section and my 3rd time in this same room) and a quick check of the room, I immediately headed for the nude pool to check on the arrival of more Krewe members and another champagne while swimming and relaxing in the nude pool. Eventually I made it to the hot tub-jacuzzi where I met both first time guests and Hedonism veterans. Some recognized me as The TravelSlut :-) Following that I went to the Scotch Bonnet waterfront restaurant (also known as the Reggae Café) for Jamaican style food but realized it closed at 7 p.
Action or relaxed sports available
m. so it was onto the buffet but not before stopping to check some of the outside vendor’s handicraft areas near the Tropical Terrace Restaurant(feel free to negotiate with them). I was in for a special treat this night as the finals for the 2009 World Pole Sport and Fitness competition was being held right on the main entertainment stage adjacent to the buffet restaurant. Some great, freshly made shrimp pasta and samples of other foods filled me up and I then returned to my room to get into true TravelSlut character before the contest began. (see photos and be sure to check my spiked boot look). 13 women from all over the world vied the 1st place in the competition and what an incredible amount of skill, strength and athleticism was exhibited.
Tough to beat the sunsets
Choreographed to music, the acrobatics on poles was astounding and the judges scoring criteria was similar to Olympic ratings. I was able to mingle and met both old and new friends during the evening and posed for dozens of photos. Apparently my Big-Hair and wild costume reputation preceded my actual appearances! :-) I was also fortunate to pose and get photographs with the eventual winner��"Miss Felix Cane of Australia and also the runners-up from the USA-Jenyne and Pantera. This was a first for me seeing this type of competition and my videos show-and-tell a better story. Very cool. After a quick midnight snack it was back to the room and I opted not to head to the disco or pool but instead got some much-needed sleep. Had I gone, the evening theme was Glitter which I had sprinkled on my body) and Glam.
The waters and activities available are numerous
It was the end of a long 21 hour day. Day 2 Sunday April 26, 2009 A nice sleep-in was punctuated by intermittent rain in the area but it just made my room dark, cool and cozy. And did I ever SLEEP-IN! One of the great things about Hedo is that time is usually irrelevant. You eat when hungry, drink when thirsty (or when you want��" because, after all, it is unlimited liquor, beer, and soft drinks), sleep when tired and basically do what you want��"or not want---when you want. The only time requirements are if you need to be at some place at a particular time like for an off-site excursion or if you really want to see or participate in any of the ongoing Hedo games or entertainment. Otherwise, time is a four-letter word. :-) After lunch at the Reggae Café restaurant (I missed breakfast) I signed up at reception for a 3 day internet pass (unlimited access) for my laptop for US $40 so that I could upload some pics and videos.
Plenty of pools in a lush environment
You can purchase packages of US $5/hour or $15/day for either your own computer or using their internet kiosk in the outdoor game room attached to the fitness center. I then did some browsing-shopping at the on-site gift shop (across the entrance from the lobby and next to the Duty Free Store (jewelry only) for some items for friends. Later, I met up with a friend in the afternoon and once the sun came out again I opted to spend some time at the Quad Pool and really enjoyed the hot-tub jacuzzi with new friends and even sat through a quick rain shower while soaking in the warm water. I sure enjoyed my time with all the Canadians at Hedo... Then it was back to the nude pool for a swim and some sun as I needed to work on my all-over tan.
Special events can occur every week
I later watched a gorgeous sunset from my room as I took a much-needed nap before getting ready to party the night away in the double theme of “Pimp and Ho” and “Retro Nights”. I created an impromptu costume with pink boots and cover-up, some “flashing bling” and then some big, blonde hair which made me sort of a "Retro Ho" :-). One of the highlights of the night was the Hedo staff’s entertainment on the main stage which included lots of audience participation and a chance to win “Hedo Bucks” (which could later be redeemed for prizes like rum, etc). I’d have to say that since my first time observing AND participating in these stage “games” a few years ago, that the games have become quite risqué ��"much to the amusement of guests watching and playing a part in the games.
Themed costume nights are a treat
I only wish I could show more in photos and video but I have to leave something to your imagination. Let’s just say though, that Hedo Staff are both fun and ingenious when it comes to adult-only entertainment. You can both laugh and be amazed at what they think up next. After the show it was off to the lobby bar to fill my special dicky “sippy cup” with champagne, meet up with old friends and make new ones including several that recognized me from my web pages-that was so nice of them to come and see me and say hi. With my “sippy cup” filled to the brim I made my way to the elevated 3rd floor disco to dance a bit, take stage in the cage and wait for some of those brave people that decided to take the nude slide---which is transparent and suspended from the ceiling above the disco floor.
2 speciality restaurants (Asian and Italian) serve fine, sit-down food.
Note: always look up if you hear a ‘whoosh” as you will probably see someone’s tush (or other body parts) as they slide their way across the room to their ultimate ground-level splash into the lobby pool. Finally, after working up some heat in the disco, it was off to the nude pool to cool down and I have to admit, I did not get completely nude for this late night/early morning dip��"as I kept my big blonde wig on much to the delight of the many in the hot tub jacuzzi. Once cooled down, it was back to the room for the best night sleep in a while. Day 3 Monday, April 27, 2009 After a mid-morning wake-up to beautiful sunshine, I made my way to the buffet to catch breakfast before they shut down. Some internet work and then meeting with the hotel manager Lance and sales manager LeeJay for some photo ops just made my day.
The lobby bar is the great place to meet people
You would be hard pressed to find any hotel or resort staff as accommodating as you find at Hedonism III. They are the best. NOTE: The nude bar grill has been closing at 5 p.m. recently but food can still be found elsewhere at Hedo throughout the day and evening. Today more member of the “Krewe” arrived and more were expected throughout the early part of the week with the entire Group there basically from Wednesday to Sunday. Tonight’s theme was Pirate, Wenches and Booty and since I left most of my pirate costumes at home, I improvised with a wenchy look that included a long, flowing black gown, my spiked, black boots, an eye patch, lots of glitter and my big and curly blonde wig. Of course I accessorized with my 32 carat, 100% clear, cut glass “bling ring” that flashed blue throughout the night.
Towel origami surprises in my room each day
After a stop at the lobby bar to say hi to the bar staff (including entertainer Ace), friends and the usual photo ops, I made my way to the piano bar where a couple hours went too quick with sing-alongs of old, new and improvised X-rated songs. A definite fun time and interaction between staff and guests. In the piano bar Ace found me again and this time he expressed some public love my way (you had to be there to see it). I don't know if anyone got any photos. Then a short walk to the disco found me walking into an unexpected "Best Wench Contest" and somehow I ended up on stage and after some audience participation and applause (and some risque antics on my part), I won the contest which included a free bottle of Appleton Rum and a free entrance to the Dolphin Cove waterpark in Ocho Rios. Right after the contest ended, I found the runner-up contestant that I thought should have won and I presented her with the two awards much to her delight. After working up some heat on the dance floor and in the disco cage, I was ready for the nude pool again and a nice cool-down and some interesting activities in the hot-tub/jacuzzi with another night concluding after 2 a.m. Day 4 Tuesday April 28, 2009 Rain showers early in the morning were a surprise but then the sun broke through and a small breakfast turned into a bigger lunch. Another short access onto the internet and then off to the nude pool and nude beach for some relaxing in the sun. The nude beach, while small, has plenty of lounges and floating mattresses for the protected breakwater area plus it has 2 wooden sun decks that double as piers. Also, wait staff from the nude bar frequents the area to take drink orders. The nude bar and grill also features John at the grill and he can cook up some burgers, chicken or even nachos of your choice. Two games of volleyball were played in the pool and the time was highlighted by a bodypainting contest where spouses, friends or strangers painted each other for prizes of rum. I had to leave early to handle some work and travel related issues but I managed a dinner in the buffet and a short nap before getting ready for Lingerie and Pajama night. NOTE: Hedo’s wi-fi internet access is sporadically and moderately slow depending on number of users on the system. I found that early morning or late evening worked best for speed and reliability. More and more of the FantasyFesters arrived today and our Group “adopted” quite a few new ones also as we always do. Day 5 Wednesday April 29 2009 Today the final group of FantasyFesters arrived and I could finally relax a little more. Though most were Hedo veterans, some were not and I wanted to make sure that everyone settled in and were made to feel comfortable. More pool time (both nude and quad) today and getting caught up on my reading. The sun was great, the drinks cool, and the pool refreshing. I even took another afternoon nap which worked well throughout the week and gave me energy to get through to the early morning hours. Tonight it was the Pastafari restaurant for some of the Krewe and our waiter Patrick was both efficient and funny. My meal was fantastic and shared desserts for the table were a perfect end to the dinner. Following dinner, we all returned to our rooms for costumes as it was Fetish and Fantasy Night and my outfit certainly drew lots of attention��"but I kept spankings to a minimum. :-) There were some great fetish costumes and attire and the entire night had a "wicked" atmosphere prevail throughout the lobby bar, disco and late night nude pool. Day 6 Thursday April 30 2009 My birthday started off by me sleeping in again--yeah! When the wind started blowing briskly, guests started opting out of the Hedonism Wet and Wild Nude Cruise from Ocho Rios--- so no boat trip was undertaken this year by anyone in our group��"but there were no complaints as it meant more time doing what one wanted to do right on property--which was spend time by the pool and on the beach enjoying all that Hedonism had to offer. The sunset was outstanding this night and I wore a special "birthday coverup and candle tiara for dinner which was outside in the Tropical Terrance restaurant buffett and where we celebrated four birthdays of Krewe members. Hedo chefs baked up 4 special cakes for us also which was a nice treat. The night's theme was Toga and I went with a non-traditional costume of big blonde hair, a slinky blue dress, and some cobra snake accessories in my hair and around my arm while many others went with the traditional and real toga looks. I saw some fantastic (and revealing) home-made togas and tonight was the big "Glitter Transfer" antics at the Lobby Bar (and later the disco) where mt excess glitter on my chest needed to be both smoothed out and thinned out and there were no shortages of heads and faces (male and female) buried in my cleavage effecting that transfer. Glitter could be found on many other body parts later--lol. :-) You had to be there for what happened in the disco cage later in the evening. This was the 1st full night of FantasyFesters all together and the evening was definitely playful and of course ended at the nude pool and jazuzzi where the "hot" tub earned its designation with SRO (sitting room only). Day 7 Friday May 1 2009 Friday was--and still is--a blur to me. It was a Jamaica-theme for the evening and green and yellow costumes dominated the entertainment and guests. I'm sorry I can't find my notes and there certainly were very few photos so either I had too much champagne (entirely possible) or someone slipped me a "roofie"---lol. Day 8 Saturday May 2 2009 Today was another tough day for me. The 6 prior nights have taken their toll. I awoke tired, felt tired all day and barely made it through dinner. I think the week was finally catching up to me and I know about pacing myself. Plus, I missed a nap so.... Lots of lazing around the pool and nude beach, dinner at Munasan Japanese Restaurant with some of the Krewe and then a final Glitter and Glam night costume. It was one of 4 costumes changes for me this date. Munasan with some of the Krewe was great though and meeting up with previous Canadian friends. I do know that my "glitter and glam" outfit was revealing and I did do many videos during the day and evening (they will be viewable in my Flickr Hedonism Group pages since Yahoo! does not support video files--unless I am missing something on how to upload them--can anyone help out???). Day 9 Sunday May 3 2009 My 6:45 a.m. wakeup call came WAY too early but I did have time to get my luggage placed outside my door by the 7 a.m. requirement and then a quick shower later, it was off to reception to check out of Hedo and check in for the complimentary transfer from resort to the Montego Bay airport following one last (excellent breakfast at 7:30 a.m.) A few last hugs and kisses to staff and guests and Krewe alike was all that remained. The airport bus was right on time, the baggage handlers efficient and it was goodbye to Hedo III until next time later in 2009 or for sure--the 4th Annual FantasyFesters Spring Reunion-Rendezvous in April-May 2010. The bus trip involved stops at nearby Breezes Resorts and then the Starfish Resort for other guest pickups and I ultimately arrived at Montego Bay airport at about 9:45 a.m. where baggage handlers took my bags and ferried them to a sedate American Airlines counter for a very easy check-in. A quick trip through customs and immigration and then security screening areas, meant it was time for some last minute shopping in some of the 50 or so stores inside the airport. The duty free liquor stores were sold out of 21-year-old Appleton rum. :-( I also met up with some other Hedo III Krewe and guests for lunch at Margaritaville (where a “well-done” hamburger means the meat is REALLY cooked through and through). Finally it was boarding time to AA469 from Mo’Bay to Miami at 12:30 p.m. and another uneventful 90 minute flight. Arrival in Miami was OK and then a 3 hour layover to my final flight to Tampa and ultimate drive home. 10 things to remember about trips to Hedonism III 1. Bring, buy, borrow and then USE sunscreen-especially your 1st few days and don’t forget both to reapply every so often and don’t forget the SENSITIVE SPOTS! I saw way too many red-lobster skinned people my time at Hedo III and spending your vacation/holiday time applying aloe vera while sitting in the shade and taking aspirin to reduce pain and swelling from sunburn is not enjoyable. 2. Consider bringing or buying an insulated drinking mug but a caveat: more liquid refreshments means more and quicker absorption of alcohol as trips to the various bars can take time and you are more likely to hydrate with more ice waters than if you sip from one source only. 3. Have an idea what you might like to do indoors should the occasional and unlikely passing rain showers decide to linger for several hours or longer whether it is a game of billiards, drinks under the roofs of the nude pool, quad pool or lobby bars, or even working out in the well-equipped fitness center. 4. Wireless internet (in the lobby only) can be slow and sporadic at best. The best to access the internet is early morning before staff arrives or after hours when the system is not bogged down Downloads are faster and more reliable than uploads I stopped trying after the 1st few days) 5. Flights to Jamaica and getting to Hedo III require almost a full travel day and don’t plan an all-nighter on your arrival date. Even simple flights from Florida can mean 8-10 travel days and it is easy to not get past one of the bars within hours of arrival and finding yourself passed out early in the evening. If you are new to Hedo III, then take time to explore the various areas and if you are a veteran, then check for new developments and start the “pacing” of both time and energy so that you can make it through your entire trip with maximum fun and energy levels. 6. If you seek quiet areas, then you may want to remain flexible and when one area gets to noisy or busy, move to another. I know a few times around the nude pool, I either moved to the quad pool or the nude beach where the noise was more than acceptable. 7. The towel exchange program is nothing new nor is a hassle. For a US $20 fee, you get a large beach/pool towel that is yours for your stay and can be exchanged as many times each day at each pool as needed. Just keep track of it as they are all alike when lying on the various chaise lounges. 8. Consider joining or at least learning about any group or groups that will be at Hedo when you are planning to be there. A great source to see who might be there is: http://hedonism.com/events.php If you can't join our group in 2010 or sometime in the future, then try to find a compatible group that you might like to join or at least meet people that are members. I know we added over 20 people to the FantasyFesters during our week stay and will see them again both at Hedo and in Key West for Fantasy Fest. 9. Expect the unexpected at either the quad or especially the nude pool at night. The liquor flows freely (literally) and the jacuzzi is called a "hot" tub for good reasons. 10. Tipping (gratuities) are not required, expected or preferred at Hedo but it does happen on occasion. IF (and a big if) you do decide to tip one or more staff members at Hedo--please do it both one-on-one and very discreet--and please explain that while the tip is from you alone for above & beyond service, that your positive feedback on your departure survey form will reflect and earn more for them job-wise. NOTE: the baggage handlers at the Montego Bay airport and your shuttle bus driver ARE NOT employed by Hedo and therefore rely on tips. Anyway, I hope many of you reading this can join me and the Krewe next spring 2010 at Hedo III...we would eventually like to "take over" Hedo III with our group for the week. In the meantime feel free to contact me throughout the year and anytime if you would like to try Hedo with or without our group (or any other adult-only destination resort). I'm can answer questions, arrange travel (with or without our group) and can always be reached at: thetravelslut@yahoo.com Take care, travel safe and have safe fun! Cheers and hugs to all. Ann, The TravelSlut :-)
Tough to beat the sunsets
The waters and activities availabl…
The waters and activities availab…
Plenty of pools in a lush environm…
Plenty of pools in a lush environ…
Themed costume nights are a treat
2 speciality restaurants (Asian an…
2 speciality restaurants (Asian a…
The lobby bar is the great place t…
The lobby bar is the great place …
Towel origami surprises in my room…
Towel origami surprises in my roo…
Runaway Bay Hotels & Accommodations review
All you can ask for and more in a SuperClubs all-inclusive resort in Paradise. The only thing greater than the experience are the people that work… read entire review
Runaway Bay