Flying in to Chania from Papenburg

Papenburg Travel Blog

Düsseldorf
Our trip started early in the morning. Our train to Düsseldorf should leave Papenburg at 9.03 a. m. on this sunny but cool morning. My mom drove us to the station and as always, she was way toooooooo early. The result was that we had to wait for more than 30 minutes at the station platform. We didn't mind about that since we were too excited to sit on our butts anyway - lol.

When the train arrived we checked out the railway cars to find our seats. We made a reservation because the trains sometimes are crowded and it isn't fun to stand in the alleyway for more than 2 1/2 hours with all our luggage.

After a 2 1/2 hours ride (without any unexpected incidents - which is unusual for Deutsche Bahn - lol) we had to change train in Duisburg and hop on the train to Düsseldorf International Airport.
Düsseldorf
This was only 8 more minutes to go. Arriving at the airport we needed some time to look about the terminals since the airport is huge and chaotic. We were too early and the counter hasn't been open, yet, therefore we strolled around a bit. At 1 p.m. the counter finally opened but it took us some time to get rid off the luggage due to some computer problems or what ever. I'm not very patient and I got hungry in the meantime which is a bad combination ;) Hehehe,  but we finally managed it.

Still 2 more hours until take-off. Having lunch might be a good idea ;) The food in airplanes isn't famous for its savoriness. The "sandwich" (?) which tasted like paperboard from our last years flight was still in my mind.

Finally!!! At 3.15 p.m. we took-off and due to the nice weather we had a good view on Düsseldorf and its surrounding.
The flight to Crete was about 3 hours. Shortly before we alighted in Chania at 7.30 p.m. local time we saw an amazing sunset. The first view on Crete was in the disappearing day light - awsome :)

Since we are inhabitants of the EU there were no customs formalities. We got our luggage very quickly and went to the counter of the car rental to pick up our car. All in all we needed just 1 hour for everything. We booked a small car but since we were late there wasn't any left and they had to give us a bigger car. As you can imagine we weren't sad about it :)

The drive to the hotel in Koraka Beach (Rodakino) took us a bit over 2 hours. After checking in at the hotel we went down to the tavern for a late dinner. The kitchen was already closed but they were very kind and prepared us a greek salad and some tsaziki with bread. Accompanied by a red wine for me and a beer for Klaus the dinner was perfect :)

We were exhausted from our 14 hours trip and went to bed. But we couldn't doze off. At a tavern next to the hotel a wedding has been celebrated with loud music and - very strange for us - gunshots. I read in our guide book that gunshots at weddings are still common in Crete but I never expected to witness that. At 4 a.m. I was still awake :( but somewhen I finally dozed off.

aloneinthecrowd says:
Thanks for all the congrats and smiles everybody :D I'm overwhelmed :)
Have a great weekend everybody!!
aloneinthecrowd says:
Me too, Sylvia. Eating in Greece is a special experience :) Just going into the kitchen and choose there was very strange to us. The food is always fresh and delicious.
sylviandavid says:
Lovely that a nice greek meal was prepared for you! Nothing cheers me like Greek food! Sylvia
First view on Chania