Verona (pt. 2) 2002

Verona Travel Blog

Verona cityscape I

After my initial walkabout in Verona the day I arrived and the day trip to Padua the following day, I was ready to see more of Verona, but the weather had different ideas and took a turn for the worse. Basically it rained for two days, which left me in the hotel most of the time. I took advantage of some breaks in the weather to get out, but they were short lived as the rain was unrelenting. I saw something of Verona I suppose, but not really what I could have had the weather cooperated better. There was a silver lining to all this I suppose and Verona is where I first met Julieta! For those of you who may have read my 2006 blog on Basel, Switzerland called The Adventures of Erasmus and Swiss Miss will know who I am talking about.

Verona Cityscape II
Hanging out in a bar/nightclub one night just to get out of the hotel for a while I chanced to meet a very charming lady and we struck up a good conversation. I guess you could say there were some 'sparks' there I suppose. These sorts of encounters like that don't happen for me often, so I was pleasantly pleased to meet her and enjoy the time spent with her. She seemed interested in going about to tour with me the following day, but I never heard from her. This is not to say I never heard from her again, just not that following day.

Well, about this time I figured I'd had enough dissapointments in Verona, not in the city itself, which is quite a charming place, but just the circumstances (bad hotel area I mentioned in Verona (pt. 1), bad weather and missed opportunity with Julieta). I made my mind, come rain or shine, I was moving on the next day.

Verona Opera
It turned out to be a sunny day with blue skies, and I figured with weather like this in Italy I should head to Finale Ligure, which is what I did and will cover this in the next entry. I didn't get many good photo opportunities in Verona, but have some to share, including one of Julieta to remember her by. I never really quite forgot her I suppose, but she slipped out of sight and out of mind in time, until two and a half years later in early 2005 when I recieved a call around 1 am in the morning. "How do you do, Brian, this is Julieta, do you remember me?" Of course I remembered her and we had a nice talk for quite a while. She told me how she often thought of me since we met, but the more time went by the more uncertain she became how I would respond if she called. It was a nice chat and I didn't press her for explanations and we kept in touch after that.
Julieta

There will be two tracks to this story from here:

1.) We saw eachother in Rome in the summer of 2005 (See my entry Roma 2005) - Note: This entry is not completed yet but you will find a slideshow to music of the trip and a short video of Julieta walking with me in Rome.

2.) We saw each other again in early 2006 in Basel (See my entry The Adventures of Erasmus and Swiss Miss). This blog is completed and tells the rest of the story regarding Julieta when she lived in Switzerland.

So, there is a beginning here in 2002 and an ending of sorts in 2006. I will have more to say about the intervening time when I do the 2005 journal entry on Rome. When I say ending too, I don't mean we never spoke again, and still do to this day, as we have remained friends. It's just that 2006 was the last time I saw her in person. I may add a bit more here about that after I do the Rome blog - stay tuned...

Zagnut66 says:
At least the trip wasn't a total wash.
sansan says:
Wow...Gentleman! Wonderful experience of life...
rsvpme says:
When the heart is tuned the photos illustrated.
Verona