EuropeFranceNice

Side trip to Nice

Nice Travel Blog

The beachfront at Nice

I got a bit of a late start this day because I had to change hotels in Finale Ligure during the morning, but found a good one called Villa Italia that I can recommend. I settled in and the hotel gave me some advice on traveling to Nice. It's a bit of a journey from Finale Ligure to Nice, but since I was there it was an opportunity to visit the south of France. The views from the train when it rides the coastline are georgeos, so the trip there was not so boring. Nice itself, is nice some say, but was not my kind of place really. It just seemed more like a tacky resort town with a built-up beachfront of hotels. The beaches themselves aren't even that attractive. I can't imagine they are all that relaxing either as they are of the pebble and stone variety washed smooth by the tides. I walked along one of the stone beaches and found it very uncomfortable and akward to really enjoy. I strolled around for a couple/few hours but didn't really see anything that would inspire me to ever come back here. I am sure other parts of the French Riviera are great, but Nice just didn't appeal to me. The side trip here wasn't a total waste, and I did enjoy the coastal views from the train, as I said. I arrived back at the hotel in Finale Ligure quite late and rather tired from the days journey. Tomorrow I would head to Milan, see a bit of that & stay the night.

spocklogic says:
My impression is it might be famous for being famous because of famous people. It's not an ugly place, but not exactly a stand out beauty either. Just didn't live up to the hype (or reputation) for me.
Posted on: Sep 08, 2013
reikunboy says:
Nice has a reputation of being a beautiful city I thought.
Posted on: Sep 08, 2013
spocklogic says:
Guess I should not complain - it is, after all, a great privilege to be able to travel to many places and see so many things in this world. We westerners are a bit spoiled I suppose in that regard and sometimes don't reflect on the fact for for some parts of the world such opportunity is not so easy for people.
Posted on: Aug 18, 2013