Naples 1999

Naples Travel Blog

Bay of Naples View

I spoke about a hand written journal I used to keep back in the day to write down some thoughts during my travels (see the entry Pompeii 1999). Here is what I wrote down in my journal regarding Naples while sitting in a small cafe with a view just near my hotel. “I have been in Naples without luggage for 2 days, but am told it will arrive tonight at midnight. Molto Bene! I stay at Hotel Paradiso on Via Catullo. What a splendid view of the bay of Naples from here. The hotel is on a hillside overlooking the bay with Vesuvius looming in the background. Once you get used to it, navigating in Naples is easy enough, but it's a noisy, swarming place and I didn't care for the city much, though he Bay area is nice, but the rest of it, or what I saw of it was a mess of noise and confusion”.

Mount Vesuvius from the my Hotel
I’d say those writings sum up my memories and lasting feelings of the city of Naples. In retrospect, the city of Naples was a bit of a mixed experience. Trying to navigate around by foot in the city center was quite annoying, having to stop every so many paces to wait for traffic, which was quite the buzzing hive of small sized cars and motor bikes. There were many people walking the streets also, but not tourists, and these were mostly the residents going about their business. While not the most populated city in Italy by numbers of people, Naples does have the highest population density of people/km^2 in its urban core. On the other hand, the area by the bay is absolutely splendid. Less traffic laden with a more easy pace of life it seemed to me. It’s an area where one can stroll around in relative peace compared to the city center. In fact the two areas (city center and bay) are like day and night. The people in Naples (Napoli), known as Neapolitans, are a bit more mischievous with offbeat sense of humor, but is a charmingly friendly way. I had mostly good interactions once I caught on to their jibes and self-deprecating humor. It’s a city where one can laugh well once in synch with the rhythm here.

spocklogic says:
Can see a fair amount of Pompeii in 4 hours, and you got Herculaneum in also - Well done! I can see easily spending a whole day exploring each, such fascinating examples of complete Roman cities, and feels like stepping back in time to see how they lived.
Posted on: Nov 22, 2017
Paulovic says:
To be honest I quite rushed through Pompeii. I did see it in about 4 hours. I used an audioguide in Herculaneum. Then I thought I get the main story. But when I return there (in many years probably), I will for sure visit it again and take more time for it.
Posted on: Nov 22, 2017
spocklogic says:
That's a full day there and I spent about 6 hours in Pompeii alone, but no time for Herculaneum. Good you were able to see both - and for free too!
Posted on: Nov 21, 2017
Mount Vesuvius from the my Hotel
Location of my hotel as seen from …
Location of my hotel as seen from…
Naples