Hill Tribe Trekking

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

We made a detour to a waterfall on the way and then stopped for lunch. shortly after we were at our destination in the middle of nowhere. We put on our backpack and started walking through the jungle with our guide leading the way. after three hours of walking we arrived at the village. Ban-Mae-Jog, this is where we stay tonight. Living like a local on duvets as beds on the wodern floor. The houses are made of wood and bambo and stand on stilts off the floor. We showered in a nearby waterfall and then sat down for dinner and shots of the local wiskey.

The next morning we woke up and gathered ourselves over breakfast and a hot fire. Then prepared for a long day walking. well actually only bout four hours which is short for me but everyone else was tired  after that. After four hours I was hoping to see somewhere selling a coffee shake - I'm getting addicted to these. Instead we walk into Huay-Nm-Dang Elephant camp. Very cool, the elephants are very friendly and wander over to us so we can get photos. After lunch we sit in seats on the back of the elephants and ride them to the next village.

Pa-Khao-Laam. This is where we sleep tonight. We headed down to watch the locals play football and were tempted to join in but couldn't understand their lack of rules. I headed back to the house (simlar place as the last village) and went and bathed in the nearby river before dinner.

The following morning we were up early to the sound of roosters and havng breakfast. Then we wrapd our stuff in plastic and boarded a rickety bamboo raft that the hosts made the night before and headed downstream. After 4-5 hour floating downstream, some it with me stearing we arrived at our pick up point where we had lunch, changed into dry clothes and took the private taxi back to Chiang Mai.

Once back in Chiang Mai we went out for dinner and more shopping. The next afternoon we caught an overnight train to Bangkok.

Chiang Mai