Helsinki 2009 - A weekend I will never, ever forget

Helsinki Travel Blog

The adventure really started on Thursday evening, as we decided to stay overnight with some friends who live in Surrey. We had a rather early flight (alright, 8.30 is really not early at all, thinking about some of the stupid o' clock flights I've been on, but I'm still barely awake by this point in the day), and travelling to Gatwick from Surrey at this hour is much much easier than travelling to Gatwick from the West Midlands at this hour. As you can imagine, it was quite hard to contain my excitement during college on Thursday, bearing in mind I had been counting down to this day from the moment the tickets were booked. Finland really is the ultimate location for me, screw New York, Paris, Venice, Sydney, I just want Finland. And it surpassed every expectation. The journey down wasn't really that great. My friend was supposed to be coming with us (us being me and dad), but unfortunately she had to have a parent pick her up from Oxfordshire service stations for personal reasons. Which was a huge shame because I know she would have loved it too, but she wasn't really in any state to continue on with us. So, slight delay in getting to Surrey; we got there about 9pm, but our friends had made us a really nice meal which was much needed and then we sat and chatted in their lounge until about 11.30, where we got off to bed for an early start on Friday. NB: I don't think you can even begin to imagine how excited I was at this point.

Helsinki