Just a tease in Berlin

Berlin Travel Blog

Brandenburg Gate
Past Jena, we arrived in Berlin about 4:45pm to our hotel, Econtel which was odd looking yellow/green with murals painted on it. This funky looking hotel was in West Berlin and had free Internet in the lobby. The rooms were plain with no ac but luckily it was cool out, so we kept the window open. Each time we took a shower, the floor got wet because it was nothing more than a drain in the corner of the bathroom with a curtain going around! It was clean and a decent size and was quiet. We had our 1st optional excursion; a "BERLINER DINNER" in East Berlin at Wirtshaus Alte Stadt Mauer. This would end up being the only place where we would get a choice of appetizer, entree and dessert for the entire trip.
Checkpoint Charlie
The food was great and we were entertained by 2 guys with one playing the guitar and the other playing the accordion. The d'oeuvre was sushi, mozzarella and swiss cheese, meat with sweet pickle wrapped in it. The pork sausages with sauteed potatoes and sauerkraut was very filling so I couldn't finish it. For dessert, I tried the rice pudding with cinnamon along with the all inclusive drinks. he he Wine and 2 beers kept me happy the rest of the  night along with the 2 Australian couples: Mick and Kerry and Paul and Sharon from Adaline we sat with!

After dinner, we took a mini city tour of Berlin, passing the TV Tower and a part of the BERLIN WALL, then we stopped at CHECKPOINT CHARLIE for photo opportunities. Checkpoint Charlie was a crossing point between East and West Berlin during the Cold War for foreigners and members of the Allied Forces.
coming into Berlin
Since it was 9pm, it was difficult to get clear pictures. STUMBLE #1 happened when I was walking fast, checking out the soldiers' pictures that were displayed, not paying attention to some construction. I stumbled over a piece of concrete sticking out, but I managed to avoid a fall. Our last stop was seeing BRANDENBURG GATE lit up at night. This is a former city gate that a person had to use to enter Berlin. It is 65 feet high, 213 feet wide and 36 feet thick. It dates back to at least the 1830's. It was a pretty site and I couldn't believe I was here in Berlin! A very nice evening indeed!

In review: Stumble #1
Bathroom fees for the day: 1 euro
Quote for the day: Yes I did!

West Berlin
West Berlin
Our room at the Econtrel
Our room at the Econtrel
my bed
my bed
Kaiser-Wilhelm Memorial Church
Kaiser-Wilhelm Memorial Church
where our dinner the Berliner was
where our dinner "the Berliner" was
Our entertainment- I think I gave …
Our entertainment- I think I gave…
TV tower