Lunch: Right here, right now

Kilgore Travel Blog

Serving up all that food

The Christian Campus Center really is a great place worth celebrating. It seems as though everyone in and around the college wanted to be apart of this little bit of history. On this day, we had three churches from the area; Longview Church of Christ, Harris Chappel Church of Christ and the Valley View Church of Christ come out and bring us a great home cooked meal. The comfort food included, chicken and dressing, casseroles, fried chicken, lasagna, homemade cornbread, various vegetables like collard greens, macaroni and cheese, sweet potato soufflé and so many other dishes that it made choosing difficult. We must have fed well over 300 students and never ran out of food. That’s the way I like to do it here.

Not only did we serve food, but I was able to bring a short message to the students about what it means to live “Right Here, Right Now!” This is the theme I chose for our anniversary.

Christina, Nick and Seveta
Everyone seemed to get it and I hope a few hearts were changed.

The highlight of the afternoon was that a reporter from the local TV station came out to cover the event. We had some pretty good coverage and many of our students were featured in the story that ran on TV a couple of times. I was really pleased and felt like we accomplished what was envisioned over 50 years ago.

We also gave away lots of special gifts including five $50 savings bonds, cash money, t-shirts, candy, gift cards to Wal-Mart, gas cards, books and a lot of other great gifts. The students who won these prizes seemed really thankful. We were also blessed to have a donation that helped us to buy small trees that we encouraged everyone to plant and watch it grow as does the ministry at the Christian Campus Center.

It was a great time to be a part of a great ministry that I hope will continue to grow and serve the students and community.

williamsworld says:
Eat Drink and be merry
Eat Drink and be merry
Everyone was coming and going
Everyone was coming and going
Chris, our minister while Fanita a…
Chris, our minister while Fanita …
Taylor loves food