Watts Chapel

Compton Travel Blog

It's a long journey from Halesowen to Compton (Surrey) but having seeing something on the television about Mary Watt's chapel a while ago me and my mum had really wanted to go.  My dad took us there for the day to see as he knew we'd both really enjoy it.  We arrived at Watt's Gallery (just down the road from the Chapel) around lunch time so we stopped at the tea room there for something to eat.  Sadly I got braces the day before so I couldn't eat a thing but I enjoyed relaxing with a nice cup of tea instead.  After our 'lunch' we left the Watts Gallery site and walked down the lane to the cemetery chapel (so easy to find!), we wandered the graveyard for a little while enjoying the nice weather before going inside the chapel.
  When we walked in we were absolutely gob-smacked, it was amazing.  The whole room was so beautiful.  The colours and patterns were amazing.  I could have stared at it for hours.  I took so many photos and I'll always appreciate the memory of going there.  We spent ages inside studying the interesting designs.  As we were ready to leave it began hailing outside (I hate sudden change of weather!) so we waited inside until it cleared up a bit.  Everything about the building, outside and inside was just so elaborate and fascinating.  After the weather improved we walked back to the Gallery (which sadly was closed for restoration) and went to the gallery shop where we got some postcards.  After stopping by the tea room again to get a drink for the long journey home we left.  It was a really great day out and I'm so glad I've been lucky enough to visit the chapel.  I'd really like to go and see the gallery when it's finished with it's restoration, and I'd very happily go and see the chapel again.