Raider Nation

Oakland Travel Blog

Yeah right!
I arrived at the Oakland Coliseum, and realized my seat was in the upper deck. And this being a sunny and clear day, meant that I would be sitting in the sunlight. I tend to burn and sweat easily and badly. Well, I already put on the sunblock, as I went to my seat in a sea of black, with mostly Raiders fans and some Broncos fans in there as well. I wore all black, to blend in with the crowd, who I hear, are one of the craziest fans in the NFL.

As I sat in my seat, I could see the baseball diamond on the field, as well as the dugouts. Both just seem so out of place, in a football game. Now I see how multi-purpose stadiums just don't work.

It was Week 3 of the NFL, and the Oakland Raiders faced the Denver Broncos in this intense AFC West rivarly.
Raiders vs. Broncos
I was not expecting much since both teams were expected to be terrible this season. The Broncos were 2-0, while the Raiders were 1-1. Well, right from the start, the Broncos dominated the game completely, marching down the field at will, and going up 10-0 quickly by the end of the 1st quarter. Then both teams traded field goals in the 2nd quarter, making it 13-3 lead for the Broncos at halftime. The 2nd half was even worse for the Raiders, as they just could not get anything going. The Broncos would win easily over the Raiders, 23-3.

I did see some Bronco fans, who got booed and cursed when they showed up in the stands. And one fan in particular, was having a lot of fun stirring up trouble, taunting the home crowd. Needless to say, the Raider fans did not take kindly to it.
trash-talking between AFC West fans
That fan had to be escorted out by security. As I heard one fan say, it's either that or out on a stretcher.

I endured sitting in the sunlight for 1 half, then tried to move up to the shade. There was not too many sections in the shade. I sat in one of them, and it was a huge relief, for most of the 3rd quarter. I ended up sitting in someone's else seats, and moved over when they came. And then, one of them probably told the usher that I did not belong there, and I had to move when asked if I had a bracelet for that section. So I moved to the concourse, and tried to watch the game there. Not easy to do, with the overhang obstruction. With the outcome of the game already known, I would end up leaving the game by the early 4th quarter.

I would have to go with the crowd, and ended up missing the train that I needed to get back to San Francisco. So I would have to wait a long time for the next one, which was annoying.

I thought about doing a football quest, like I'm currently doing with baseball. I may hold off on it for now.

Super Bowl banner
baseball diamond still can be seen
score
score
Raiders vs. Broncos
a Broncos fan trying to start trou…
a Broncos fan trying to start tro…
me at the game