A Foggy Day

San Francisco Travel Blog

Fisherman's Wharf

I started the day off, by riding the cable car from the starting point, on the Powell-Mason line, taking me to Fisherman's Wharf. Once I got there, I walked to Pier 33, as I planned to catch a ferry to Alcatraz Island. But it turned out that tickets for the day were sold out, and I would have to get one for Sunday (2 days later).

So it was time to walk around the Wharf area, along the waterfront. I went to Pier 39, which was very touristy, but a nice place to stroll around. Just some restaurants and shops to buy souvenirs. The highlight was getting to see the sea lions very close, not to mention very smelly and noisy. There was one wooden island (not sure of exact term), where the seals were fighting for space on it, as so many crowded onto it. I did go to the opposite side of the pier, where there were a few just relaxing in the sun.

sea lion swimming

I could barely see Alcatraz Island, and the thick fog made it impossible to see the Golden Gate Bridge (called GGB, for now on). I stopped by the visitor center, but only sat around to rest my sore feet. Then left Pier 39, and came across Blazing Saddles, a company that rents out bikes. At first, I was undecided whether to rent on, but decided later to go for it. It would be faster for me to get to the GGB than trying to get there by foot.

Well, it would be the first time I have ridden a bike in 20 years, and it really showed. I had a hard time keeping my balance, trying to take off, and navigate my way around people, always worrying that I would crash into them or cars. I took off from Pier 41, and my butt started to hurt. The seat was uncomfortable, and felt it was too high, but it could not go any lower.
me with bike
It would be bumpy, and wearing jeans isn't exactly the ideal thing to wear when riding a bike.

I would ride through Fisherman's Wharf, going up and down hills, and passing by a marina. I pass by a beach and into Crissy Field, which is a section of the park leading to the bridge. I stopped by a cafe to rest, and learned to use a bike lock for the first time. This was one of the spots where I could get a great view of the GGB, but not so this time, because of the thick fog. When resuming riding, I had to go up a hill, and ended up walking my bike most of the way. It was just too tiring.

I reached the bridge, seeing the toll booth nearby, then started to cross the GGB. I walked and rode, depending on how congested the sidewalk was. It was narrow, and noisy due to the fog horn going off every minute, as well as the traffic.
Golden Gate Bridge
Because of the thick fog, I could not see the city, the bay, and the Pacific Ocean. But I was here, getting to cross it this time, which I did not get to do in my previous visit to San Francisco.

There were moments when it was semi-clear to see the bridge, but only for a few seconds. I made it across, going into Marin County, and stopped by the vista point. Then came the tough part, riding down a hill on a street with no sidewalk. After that, I was going through the residential area, then along the bay, until getting to the town of Sausalito. By then it was getting more harder to ride, and I was getting worned out.

Sausalito was a touristy town, with buildings on a hill.
view of Sausalito
After parking the bike, I walked along the main street. A nice place to look at, and stroll for a few hours. It just had some places to eat and shop, but a more relaxing atmosphere. I ate lunch there, and then went to wait in line for the ferry back to the city.

As it turned out, there was a long line of people with bikes, and the ferry only took a certain amount. And it ended up cutting off right in front of me. I swear they could have put more one, and I'm sure the person in charge was thinking it was funny. I was not happy at all, since it would mean I would be late to the baseball game.

I waited for the next ferry, and hopped on that one. The ride was okay, but seeing that the fog cleared, and I'm able to see the city and bridge clearly, just added insult to injury.
San Francisco skyline
I thought about crossing again on a clear day, but had to remember it was just too much. Well, I guess what mattered is that I crossed the GGB.

I arrived at the Ferry Building, and quickly rode my bike to Pier 41, where I would have to return it. And with game time approaching, I tried to ride as fast as I can, feeling sore and tired. The pier numbers were in order by odd number, and I made it to 41 in 10 minutes. I returned the bike, but had to wait for the billing. Then when looking for a streetcar, I saw that I just missed the ones I needed to catch. So more time wasted on waiting for another one.

When the next one came, I rode it to the downtown, then to AT&T Park. By the time I got to my seat, I was 25 minutes late and 2 innings done. As it turned out, 25 minutes was the difference between catching the first and second ferry, and being cut off from boarding the first one.
AT&T Park
I would sit next to Annie, who started talking to me. As it turned out, she is a Yankees fan, being from New York State, and obviously thinks they will win it all. But she is a baseball fan and has been coming out to Giants game, and even being at the scheduled Game 3 of the Earthquake Series in 1989 before it got postponed. Very interesting to hear.

As a result of talking to Annie, I would miss what went on between the San Francisco Giants and Chicago Cubs. A great pitching matchup between Tim Lincecum and Carlos Zambrano, and it did not disappoint. It was a pitchers' duel, and Zambrano won, as he helped himself by driving in 2 runs and allowed none as the Giants could only muster 2 hits. The Cubs shut out the Giants, 2-0.

I headed back, riding the Muni back to town, along with a lot of Giants and Cubs fans. I went back to the hostel, and had some issues there with the bed assignments. It gets annoying when hostels get very picky about this, and I have to end up on the top bunk. I prefer the bottom one, since I hate climbing to the top.

A day that did not go exactly as planned, but oh well.

monkeymia79 says:
I jut love the photos of the bridge with the fog, such an iconic sight of San Fran.
Posted on: May 29, 2016
Africancrab says:
Nice photos, brings back my memories of San Francisco. It is quite a city isn't it? Thanks for sharing.
Posted on: Mar 25, 2010
vulindlela says:
Nice photos!
Can't wait to see the Raider pics!
Posted on: Nov 06, 2009
sea lions just laying in the sun
sea lions just laying in the sun
so many fighting for space
so many fighting for space
I should be holding my nose!
I should be holding my nose!
Golden Gate Bridge covered in fog
Golden Gate Bridge covered in fog
view of San Francisco (with Coit T…
view of San Francisco (with Coit …
view of San Francisco
side of Golden Gate Bridge
side of Golden Gate Bridge
me at Golden Gate Bridge
me at Golden Gate Bridge
the fog (cant see anything)
the fog (can't see anything)
me at Golden Gate Bridge (when sem…
me at Golden Gate Bridge (when se…
Marin County
Marin County
at the end of bridge
at the end of bridge
looking back at Golden Gate Bridge
looking back at Golden Gate Bridge
street in Sausalito
street in Sausalito
San Francisco (seen from ferry)
San Francisco (seen from ferry)
Sausalito
Sausalito
view of Sausalito (seen from ferry)
view of Sausalito (seen from ferry)
Golden Gate Bridge (now clear)
Golden Gate Bridge (now clear)
view of Bay Bridge