Cookies, Hills and Steps

San Francisco Travel Blog

turning the cable car around

After the sunrise and getting ready, it was time to see the city. First, I had to take care of some business, and buy the 7-day Passport, which gives unlimited rides on any Muni bus, streetcar, or cable cars. It would be worth it, not only for getting my money's worth, but also the flexibility of planning.

Then I stood in line for the cable car. I get to see the cable car turned around when reaching the end of the line. Then hopped on it, and rode it to Union Square, riding it for a few blocks. A nice little public park, to people watch.

Then it was off to Grant Ave, walking on it, taking me to Dragon's Gate, which represented the entrance to Chinatown. I believe this one is the oldest, and has the largest Chinese communities outside of China.

Chinatown
Walking up that hill, it does have that authentic feel. I went to St. Mary's Cathedral, then walked around the area, visiting 2 places to note.

One of the most interesting places to visit, is the Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Company. This is where fortune cookies are made the old-fashion way. I got to eat a fresh one, plus some flattened ones as well, given by one of the workers as a bonus, when I bought a bag of chocolate fortune cookies. Another interesting place is Portsmouth Square, where a bunch of Chinese people were playing cards. It was interesting to see, but out of respect, I did not take any photos.

After eating lunch in Chinatown, I walked in the North Beach neighborhood. This area has a bit of an Italian feel to it, kind of like a Little Italy.
Vallejo Steps
The Transamerica Pyramid can be seen from Columbus St. Also there are a quite a few peepshow places.

The area is quite hilly, as the city is known for the hills. I would be getting a workout on this trip. First, I went up the Vallejo Steps, with homes and gardens along it, and a view of the Bay Bridge. Then it was down a hill, taking me to Columbus St. I did relax for a little while, to catch my breath.

Later, I would go up and down the Filbert Steps, in the Telegraph Hill area. The Filbert Steps felt a bit more steeper, and there are gardens and homes along it, which are only accessible by the steps. I thought about visiting Coit Tower, but just did not have the time. When coming back down, I was on to Levi Plaza. This is where I hopped on the bus, and back to the hostel.

Then, it was time to get ready to go to the baseball game.

sweettangerine says:
Great blog, SF is my favorite city in the US!
Posted on: Aug 28, 2013
dothoin says:
great blog and photos of san francisco i was there in june and loved it
Posted on: Oct 07, 2009
WalterC says:
Hopefully, I won't get so lazy updating and completing it.
Posted on: Oct 05, 2009
up a hill
up a hill
closer look of Vallejo Steps
closer look of Vallejo Steps
Bay Bridge (seen from Vallejo Step…
Bay Bridge (seen from Vallejo Ste…
looking downhill