Bringing Their A's Game

Oakland Travel Blog

entrance

From San Francisco, I took the BART train to Oakland, where I would be attending the ballgame. Funny how I first knew about this city because of its baseball team, the Oakland Athletics, commonly known as the A's. I remember that '89 team that won the World Series, the first one that I ever saw, and the one that got delayed by the earthquake.

I arrived at the Oakland Coliseum, and bought a ticket at the window. I figure the games would not be sold out, since the A's are in last place, and normally don't sell out in general. And I don't want to pay those ridiculous fees when buying online or on the phone. This day, it was $2 day and dollar dog night. I had to buy the ticket for next day's game at another window in the stadium.

So I walked around the stadium, but not much to see.

Mt. Davis
One of the few multi-purpose stadiums left in baseball, so I guess not much can be done. Nearby is Oracle Arena, the home of the Golden State Warriors. Funny how both the A's and Warriors started in Philly, and now both in Oakland. How ironic is that?!

I entered the stadium, and first thing I did, was to find the office, to buy for next day's game. Then being a dollar dog night, I went ahead to buy 6 hot dogs, and consumed them slowly at my seat. And I was sitting in the outfield, which was not an area I like to sit at. And it had to be in front of annoying, noisy girls, who just kept yelling nonstop, mainly at their friends. It was a chilly night, and I noticed the very few features in this stadium. More about that in the review here.

The Oakland A's took on the Texas Rangers.
A's taking the field
The Rangers have a slim chance at the AL Wild Card, although they have not been playing like it. The A's are in last place in the division, and well out of the playoff picture. But that would not mean this game would be dull, as it turned out to be a high-scoring affair.

The Rangers would start scoring immediately, and go up 4-0, with Hank Blalock knocking in 3 of them. But the A's scored 5 runs in the bottom 4th, giving them a 5-4 lead. But that lead was very short-lived, as the Rangers came back with 4 of their own in the 5th, retaking the lead, 8-5. The Rangers scored 1 more, and the A's slowly chipped away, but fell short by 1. The result was the Rangers beating the A's, 9-8.

After the game ended, I was so tired, and hopped on the train, without realizing for a while, it was the wrong one. When I fell asleep on the train, and when waking up and hearing I was at Berkeley, I had to get off, and get on one, taking me back to San Francisco. By the time I got back to the hostel, it was 12:30 AM.

sweettangerine says:
And I have seen the A's play here while I was a nanny in the Bay area :-)
Posted on: Aug 28, 2013
vulindlela says:
Good stuff!
I actually like this stadium.
I have seen the Warriors play a couple of times and that is a nice arena too.
Posted on: Oct 06, 2009
championship banner
championship banner
Oracle Arena
Oracle Arena
championships when the team was in…
championships when the team was i…
retired numbers
As vs. Rangers
A's vs. Rangers
Oakland Sights & Attractions review
Not a bad place
One of the few cookie cutter stadiums left in baseball, the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, commonly known as the Oakland Coliseum, is the home of th… read entire review
Oakland