Split Travel Blog

Split Riviera
I wanted to go to split last time round but it wasn't really favourable for the trains so this time it was definitely on. We had a hell of a train ride getting there though, we left Ljubljana at 9:30 and got the train to Metlik, on the Slovenian border.  The train ride through the Slovenian country side was breathtaking, the scenery was so nice, my pictures don't do it justice at all.  We got off the train at Metlik and got on the train the Karlovac, no problems at the border patrol as we were pretty much the only people on board.

We got off the train at Karlovac and we had 45 minutes to kill, we tried to find an ATM machine to get some Croatian Kuna but the woman that the station said the nearest ATM was in town.
The train arrive but the doors didnt open, the conductor came off and asked to see our reservations... we didnt have any.  She said that we would have to wait for the next train (which was in 6 hours) or pay her in Kuna, which we had none of.  We argued for a while but didn't get anywhere, we would have to wait for 6 hours in the middle of nowhere.

We tried to hitch-hike from the station but it didn't work so we went to find a bus station.  On the way to the bus station we decided to go to a bar and try and relax because we were pretty furious.  We stayed there for ages and ended up getting pretty drunk, we went to find somewhere to eat, we went to some place, I dunno what it was calledd, scooby doo's or something.  We had a burger and some more beer there, then we went back to the bar we started off at.
Split harbour
  Had another drink then walked up to the station to get on the 22:30PM train.  Some locals started shouting stuff at us on the way to the station, dunno what it was but I guess it wasn't good :P We thought they were going to attack us so we squared up but they chickened out.  Once we got to the station I phoned the hostel in split to let them know I would be 'late'.

We got into split at 6AM, got shite sleep on the train but it was better than nothing, also pretty hungover and slightly euphoric that we had made it.  We went up to the hostel at 7AM, luckily we got checked in at that time so we just went straight to bed. A really nice English girl was trying to make conversation with us in the room but we were waaaay too tired to strike up much of a conversation so sorry if that was you!

Split was ok, it was much more of a holiday resort, so it was really busy.  I went swimming in the sea for the first time, I cant believe how warm it was, it was like a bath. It wasnt such a good shout though because I put waterproof suncream on my feet, so when I put on my flip flops with wet feet, it was like walking on ice and I promptly fell off the beach wall and into the sea.  Grazed my leg and heavily dented my pride.
Stuck in Karlovac