A journey too long, flying into Catania and driving to Palermo.

Catania Travel Blog

On our way to Palermo.

Upon landing, I went to retrieve the luggage and sent Rob to deal with getting the car, divide and conquer. The bag wasn’t quick to arrive but, by the time I made my way to the Rent a Car building outside the airport, I still had to wait 10 minutes for him. There was a terribly long line outside of the building. I’m so glad that we decided to split the chores.

Rob commiserated with the rental agent as someone had just given him a hard time even though she didn’t have what she needed to rent the car. The agent must have appreciated the sympathy because he upgraded us from a Fiat Panda to a Ford Fusion. The Fusion was quite a nice little car. It got great gas mileage, close to 50 mpg.

We had decided that considering all of the negative things that we had read concerning having a car in Palermo overnight,  we would buy all of the extra insurances that we never do. In the end we could have totaled the car or have had it stolen and have no responsibility. We needed this peace of mind considering all that the day and the previous trip to Palermo had put us through.

We left the airport with Tom Tom turned on and directing us. Soon we were on the main highway from Catania to Palermo. I text Giorgio, the guesthouse owner, and let him know that we had landed and were on the highway. I let him know that I would text him when we were close to Palermo as well. I had let him know what was up earlier in the day, so expected us to be very late.

It was very dark as we crossed the island. We only stopped once for a bathroom break. We were driving as fast as possible to get there and have this behind us.

Catania