Obstacles, part II - Catania

Catania Travel Blog

Early morning Catania, a last look

Well, I hate to write about this but, there is an "Obstacles Part II".

Claudia arranged for a taxi to be at the front doors of her guesthouse at Via Gagliani, at 5:00 am. We were up and ready to meet him just after he arrived. The drive to the airport took just a bit more than five minutes. There was no traffic. We passed many of the wonderful places that we enjoyed in Catania. I enjoyed Catania, again, and hope to come back, next year.

We arrived at the airport and went to the checkin desk for Windjet. The agent was having difficulty pulling up our reservation. She called for assistance and her supervisor came over. He determined what should have been obvious to us all, the flight had been booked for the wrong day. In fact, it was booked for the same day that I booked it.

Unexpected extended journey
I couldn't believe that I had now screwed this up, as well. It was just unreal. She said that there was no flight back to Amsterdam for 2 more days. We left her line to regroup and make some decisions.

I suggested that we find a ticket to a major hub, Milan, London, or Frankfurt. From there we could find options for the rest of the journey. We opened the computer and connected to the wifi. Through skyscanner, we found a flight that was leaving at the same time as our original flight but the destination was London. We knew that form there we could easily fly EasyJet to Amsterdam.

We went back to the Windjet agent and while Rob was buying the ticket to London, I was online, buying a ticket from London to Amsterdam. We were to travel to Forli and changes planes for London with only an hour in between, tight. As Forli is a tiny airport, this shouldn't be a problem. The Windjet agent told us that we would have to get our boarding passes for London in Forli. She couldn't print them. She also told us that we would have to pick up our luggage in arrivals and then check it again when getting our boarding passes. This is ridiculously complicated....whatever.

While going through security, the agent told me that I had a knife in my carry on. I told him that i didn't. He told me that I did, again. So, he opened the bag and searched it to find....no knife. The guy sitting at the monitor was laughing. I guess it was funny to him.

Catania