Seatrek in Djibouti

Djibouti Travel Blog

Ethiopia
We landed early in Addis Ababa. It was a new looking airport, spacious and tranquil. Lots of glass which made it very light. It surprised me that you could smoke everywhere. I have got so used to the strict no-smoking laws in our part of the world.

After a 3 hour wait, it was time to board the next flight to my final destination, Djibouti. But which gate? I found my flight number on the screen, but the destination was Sanaa (Yemen) and I was not going there. Well, it turned out that the flight went to Sanaa, but made a stop in Djibouti. The screen couldn´t handle two destinations on the same flight number! An hour later we touched down in Djibouti, a very dry country. Now, my patience was put to a real test – immigration!

We all got in line and when it was my turn the officer got up, left his little booth and didn´t come back.
Approach to Addis Ababa
I was told to get in a new line. Half way through that line, I was told that I had to go to the immigration office to get my visa first. When I got to the office, I was sent back to the immigration line again, I needed a stamp from the officer before I could get the visa. So I went back and got in line again (for the third time). When I had the right stamp, I went back to the immigration office, where everybody on the flight had gotten before me. Hours later I had the right papers, the right stamp and got my visa (USD 60). I was in Djibouti!

We were picked up at the airport and on the way to our boat, we stopped in Djibouti Town, which looked totally deserted. This was a Friday and since Djibouti is a Muslim country everything was closed, including the banks. Well, almost everything. In town we found some ladies who were ready to changes local money, the Djibouti Franc. It was neither a bank nor the black market. It was legal and they had the same exchange rates as the bank. A lovely little business woman came onboard our bus, changed money and everybody was happy!

We got to our boat, the Deli , and after settling in, we sailed to The Marine Park of Musha and Maskali Islands, where our Djibouti Sea Trek started. The day ended with dinner on the boat and by 21:30 we had all passed out, dreaming of the underwater adventures to come!
Koralifix says:
Yay! Congrats on having this adventure of yours featured, Sarah! Great job!
Posted on: Oct 29, 2012
jenniferhibbard says:
What a hassle with the visa...lucky on the money exchange though!
Posted on: Oct 29, 2012
jennjeff1 says:
At least the money and immigration exchanges were not in Dutch! (Not that there is anything WRONG with Dutch....)
Posted on: Oct 28, 2012
Loading the boat
Our crew
Our crew
The Deli
Rope broke and we lost a dingy
Rope broke and we "lost" a dingy
Our cabin