Leaving London for another African adventure

London Travel Blog

Sunrise somewhere over Africa
I was leaving London Heathrow terminal 3 on Ethiopian Airlines - my first time on Ethiopian Airlines by the way. The check-in staff was friendly and helpful, but very strict when it came to checked-in baggage. You were allowed 2 pieces, each weighing max 23 kg, which I find generous, plus ONE carry on bag weighing max 7 kg. This one piece was including duty free shopping etc. Laptop was the only thing you were allowed in addition to your one carry on bag. And don´t try to cheat! All hand baggage was weighed at the gate.

With my 13 kg checked in bag and my little backpack I was fine, but other people in the queue were in serious trouble. It looked as if they were moving house (and maybe they were!).
Sunrise
It is funny the amount of baggage people travel with. Also amusing to see what they take with them. In the IATA regulations, baggage is defined as: the goods you need on your trip! Didn´t know that people needed blenders, clothes racks etc. on their trips!

My flight didn´t leave until 22:05. I arrived at Heathrow at 16:15, so I had enough time to kill. Dinner wasn´t a bad idea. I went to TGI Fridays in the departure area. The restaurant looke like any other TGI Fridays, just with a reduced menu. It was a long line to be seated, but it went quickly and I got a table in less than 10 minutes. 15 minutes after that I was served a chicken burger. The service was ok, but nothing special. The same went for the burger. Nothing great! My fruit juice on the contrary was wonderful. I had the strawberry, banana, coconut and pineapple juice. It was fresh and very tasty.

When we boarded the aircraft to Addis Ababa I was a bit surprised to see that it was a 757-200. A small and not very comfortable plane for an 8 hour night flight. And so it turned out too. Don´t really know why they handed out head phones, because the entertainment system was never turned on.
sarahsan says:
Allie, you have no idea what people travel with! I find it quite facinating! After 21 years working for an airline I have seen just about everything!
jeminigirl says:
Sara the bit about the blenders and clothes racks made me laugh =)
sarahsan says:
Lauro, it was so much more, but those huts still exsist!
London