Last day of Dan & David in Peru was a full of new flavors :)

Lima Travel Blog

happy times
Today Dan & David were coming back from the south. They have been gone for 2 days, more than enough time for me to do a research about places where we could go in order to try local and delicious food, hehehe. Hanging out with foodies is not a joke, I had to be ready. We agreed to meet for lunch, since I had to go to the theater in the evening and I definitely wanted to meet them before they live Peru.

So, I went to their hostel at 1pm and we went to have lunch. The traffic was crazy and it took us longer than expected to arrive to Lince - the area where we'd have lunch. Well, I had more time to listen about their adventures in Machu Picchu. They were lucky it wasn't raining when they visited MP, but it did the day before and the day after... I was thinking about 2 restaurants and both were on the same street.
Arequipena beer
Finally we decided for the "Rinconcito Arequipeno", which is a small but old one, a classic, that serves food from Arequipa which is in the south of the country.

Just realized I never had a beer with the guys, but this was about changing. We ordered beer and here is one of the only places in Lima where you can find "Arequipena" beer, hahaha. This place is famous among the arequipenos and people who love that food. Their food is very good and everything there would remind you of that city. Ok, now it was time to order the food.

We'd have just 1 dish, didn't want to ruin our appetite, hehehe. It was a platter with 3 of the most famous dishes in Arequipa: sarsa de patitas (boiled cow feet with onions), rocoto relleno (spicy red pepper stuffed with meat) & chicharron (fried pork).
the Trio Arequipeno: Sarsa de Patitas, Rocoto Relleno & Chicharrones
The Sarsa de patitas would be new for the 3 of us, they have already eaten pork feet, but I've never eaten any of both. Ughhh. I wasn't sure about it, but it was good. I didn't dislike it, but don't think I'd go specially for this dish. But it became David's favorite dish.

I've tried rocoto relleno several times, but this one was one of the best I've ever tried and became Dan's favorite. I already sent him the recipe, hahaha. How did I find this restaurant? Well, the famous chef Gaston was looking for the best places to eat Arequipena food and I took note of the name of the place. Also they were at the Food Festival and the line for the rocoto relleno was endless! But totally worth it.

At last but not least, the chicharrones. Dan told me he had chicharrones in Cusco, but they weren't good.
Winners of the Food Festival 2009!
So he wasn't that thrilled about this dish, but now it was different. They weren't overcooked or dry. Food was very good and quantity was good too. We weren't hungry anymore, but not full either. We could have kept on eating, but better doing it somewhere else. Next!

I wouldn't want they to leave Peru without trying the anticuchos (cow heart). They were aware what it was and even though wanted to try them, how great! These guys are perfect company to explore different restaurants and eateries. You can find anticuchos in so many places and I have my favorite one. But I was looking forward to try the one winning the Food Festival and there we went. I couldn't believe this restaurant was in my daily way from the university to home. I drove in front of them daily! But never tried them, hahaha. Now it'd change.
last stop for picarones
I was sure I was in the right place when saw a blackboard announcing they were the winners hahaha. We got the anticuchos and they were very very good. Certainly they deserved to win that contest. Dan was analyzing the texture of the meat and as I told him they were so tender, almost like beef.

It was a good idea to order just 1 dish. Now we weren't hungry at all. "No estoy hambriento" ("I'm not hungry), but that wouldn't stop us trying dessert. A traditional dessert is: "Picarones" which are similar to the beignets with a fruity syrup. This place was the winner for the 2nd place in the Picarones constest, and the #1 was a small restaurant next door! Wow! So, better moved next door, hahaha. We ordered 1 portion of picarones and the guys liked it too. It was almost 4pm and it was time to leave for me.

Before going back home, I drove them back to their hostel. I had so much fun hanging out with them. Tried new food, new places and was able to share Peruvian culture aka food with 2 great guys!
Arequipena beer
the Trio Arequipeno: Sarsa de Pati…
the Trio Arequipeno: Sarsa de Pat…
done!
done!
happy having anticuchos
happy having anticuchos
we killed this one!
we killed this one!
the picarones - like beignets with…
the picarones - like beignets wit…
Picarones at Pits ;)
Picarones is a traditional dessert here. They are similar to the beignets with a fruity syrup. They are made of squash, sweetpotato and deep fried. Yo… read entire review
Authentic food from Arequipa at the Rinconcito Arequipeno
Arequipa is located south of the country and they are always claiming their cuisine is the best in the country. Well, it's not about fish and seafood,… read entire review
Great Anticuchos not only for the glottons at Gloton's
This place is a reference in Miraflores. I've seen them forever. I couldn't believe I used to drive next to it every single day for 4 years and never … read entire review
Lima