Transit to Guyana

Georgetown Travel Blog

The day started very soon, the bus is picking us 4:30 from our guest-house. The roads on the way to Guyana are much better than those from French Guiana, around 9 o'clock we arrive to the border. Again, it is a large river, we will will cross by regular ferry. And again, even though the bus is supposed to go all the way to Georgetown, it is not true and we are on our own from the border.
At least, there's no problem to find a bus to Georgetown, the drivers are literally fighting who will take us, but we pick a guy who was recommended to us from our first bus driver. It wasn't bad choice, he could be second Schumacher, so far the fastest driver on this trip, driving around 140 km/h even through villages.
The roads are quite good and the countryside does not look so poor as Suriname, which is surprising because I heard that Guyana is the poorest.

We arrive to Georgetown late afternoon, since our reservation was not confirmed, and we arrived one day later, we are not sure where we're going to sleep. Luckily, the hostel still has empty rooms. It's not that far from downtown, but we postpone sightseeing to the next day and rather take a dinner and few beers in the restaurant across the street. We sit outside and it was a mistake - some local drunk passing by with machete is trying to tell us something, but I can't understand anything with his strong accent and drunken voice. After some minutes of trying to make contact with us, he becomes more and more aggressive, luckily for us, he don't cross the restaurant gate. I don't really know what he wanted, maybe to buy us drink, or maybe he was asking for drink, anyway, with the machete in his hand I did not feel very safe.

The next day we noticed that machete is here a common tool... so maybe he was just tired worker who was happy to see some tourists :)))
Our original plan in Guyana included trip to Iwokrama. Since I started to communicate with them, they have changed price several times (always higher) and at the end the price was just too high even for European standards. Also I had to repeat same things over and over in my mails - like arriving date, they always offered us something starting day earlier or later and we had not this flexibility. So we had to skip Iwokrama. Still, we wanted to see Kaieteur Falls (and Orinduik) and possibly cross border to Brazil from there.
Georgetown