Georgetown Travel Blog

Apart from seeing the town, our plan for the day was to find out about possibilities to cross border from Orinduik to Venezuela and to book trip to falls. First task was to book trip to Kaieteur falls. It seemed there is no one who wants to go next day to falls, so we booked the whole plane (small one with 5 seats), but we only had to pay for 1 seat extra, since 4 was minimum. I asked about possibilities to cross border from there, and they told us it is possible, but we need outgoing stamp from immigration office in Georgetown, since there is no one at the border and maybe we need to bribe someone when we leave Brasil, since we will not have entry stamp. Also, it is about 15 km trek with no transportation.

I thought it might be helpful to visit Brazilian embassy and ask them about it to make sure we will not be spending our holiday in jail, if they catch us ;) It was about 20 minutes walk before we found it.

I asked if we can cross the border at Orinduik, if there is a crossing point and if we get stamps there. Their answer was 'you don't need visas' :) I asked several times, but I got the same answer every time... Not very convincing.

Then we walked to Guyanese immigration office to see if we can get outgoing stamp there, but the building was so crowded that we rather forgot the plan and decided to come back after falls and take a bus from Georgetown.

After that we walked to town. I was short walk from hotel, maybe 1 km or so. Architecture there is very special, mix of wood and iron, in much better shape than Paramaribo. People seemed very friendly and happy, there were some people selling souvenirs to tourists, but only tourists I could see were us. It's interesting experience to be the only whites around.

But there was no problem at all, no one tried to do any harm or cheat on us. In a school near by we met some happy kids who wanted to be a models (as it seemed they've really enjoyed posing for our cameras).

We visited main market and then we took taxi to more distant areas of the town. The beach with sinking excavator was interesting :) Richard tried to walk closer to it and I thought he will end up the same. The evening we spent in restaurant opposite the guest house, drinking Banks (very good local beer). Excited for the next day trip to Kaieteur Falls and Orinduik, a highlight of our expedition.

hayley_phoon says:
nice picture. In malaysia we do have a place Georgetown too in Penang.
Posted on: Aug 30, 2010
Georgetown Hostels review
Close to center, friendly stuff, rooms are opened under roof, with mosquito nets. Recommended for backpackers, there's no much comfort. wireless inter… read entire review
photo by: IvanR