The Beginning

Paris Travel Blog

About 3 years ago I've bought a Lonely Planet book - Caribbean Islands. More like a dream reading, I did not expect to travel there any time soon. From what I knew, it was too expensive and time consuming. And I did not have money nor time :)
I started to read and soon realized that Caribbean is not only holiday destination for rich. It has it's other side too. The diversity of cultures, languages and history attracted me so it soon became my no.1 future travel destination.
Since I already traveled Central and South America (with exception of Guyanas), it was also a logical step (I am a systematic person).
On my travel in South America, I met some new friends with similar interests, and they also liked the idea to go to Caribbean together, so we started with planing. I also quit my job, so the time was not an issue anymore, somehow I put together enough money for the trip (the budget limit was 6000 euro for 60 days including plane tickets).
We also decided to start with unfinished South America - Guyanas...

To summarize the plan:

- 60 days travelling Guyanas and Caribbean
- start in French Guyana, finish in Mexico City
- visiting 2 space centers (French Guyana and Florida)
- for me second time trek to Roraima, where I celebrate my 40' birthday far from civilization
- testing local Rum on every possible opportunity (done!)
- testing local beer on every possible opportunity (done!)
- meeting local girls on every possible opportunity (did not work...)
- 33000 km
- 46 border crossings
- 23 countries
- 21 flights
- 20 islands
- 5 boat trips
- 1 helicopter trip
- 3 visas (Guyana, Suriname, Jamaica)

We started from Vienna together with Richard, but he took another flight to Paris, where we met again. My plane ticket from Vienna to Paris was only 29 euro, and the bus transfer from de Gaulle airport to Orly airport was 19. It's funny how cheap it became to travel by plane.
Richard was very happy, because with his flight traveled Slovak 'super-model' Andrea Sklenarikova Karembeau (at least he thinks it was her - she was wearing sunglasses, but he said he recognized her long legs).
We arrived to Orly at 23:00, took taxi for another 15 euro (2 km, but taxi-driver managed to find 10 km detour). Next day morning we had our flight to Cayenne where we are supposed to meet Jozef - who was already travelling for 1 month in Venezuela, Martinique and Trinidad. Since he does not speak any useful language except German, we were wondering if we meet him as planned. Since he started to travel Venezuela, I've got from him some desperate sms asking where to go, what to do...
montecarlostar says:
Congrats on your feature!!
anupa_rk says:
Wow.. 60 days in the Caribbean sounds like a fantastic two months!
Congrats on the feature :)
Hadi25 says: