Kayaking the Potomac

Washington Travel Blog

Watergate, Washington Monument and Kennedy Center in the distance

One great thing about Washington, DC is the river!  Most of the city is situated below the fall line, so the water is prime for boating, especially for novice boaters.  Today a friend and I decided we would cross another item off of our DC bucket list, and head into the water via kayak.

We looked online for some kayak rental companies, and were drawn to one called Jacks' Boathouse.  This was due to its conveinent and picturesque Georgetown location...and due to the fact that they have a pretty fun website.

We hopped on the Metro and got off at Foggy Bottom, and then walked the rest of the way; down M Street NW into Georgetown, and then down Wisconson Ave NW to Water Street NW.  Went west on Water Street and at the very end (just past the Key Bridge, which towers overhead) is Jacks's Boathouse.

Kennedy Center

Filled out a release form, paid $24 a piece for 2 hours, grabbed life vests and paddles and were given boats by the very helpful staff.  They helped us in our respective kayaks, and pushed us off into the river.

We headed across the river to Roosevelt Island.  Here, you can beach your kayak and get out and explore a few nature trails.  We stayed for about 15 minutes, then pushed out back into the river.  We would go by alot of landmarks; the Georgetown waterfront, the Watergate, the Kennedy Center; under the Roosevelt Bridge and out in front of the Lincoln Memorial, with the Washington Monument towering in the background; all the way to the Arlington Memorial Bridge, before turning around and going around the Virginia side Roosevelt Island, with Rosslyn towering on the right.  We slowly made it back to where the beautiful towers of Georgetown University were again in view.  By the time we docked back up at Jack's, we had about five minutes to spare!

Next up on the bucket list: Washington Monument?  No, I've never been up there, and I've lived around here most of my life :)

Watergate, Washington Monument and…
Watergate, Washington Monument an…
I love DC!
I love DC!
Heading back towards the Key Bridge
Heading back towards the Key Bridge
Washington Sights & Attractions review
View the city from the peaceful Potomac River
Jack's Boathouse offers residents and visitors a more unique way to see the city; from the river! And instead of paying a lot to go on a yacht or oth… read entire review
Washington Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Historic and bustling local market
Located in the heart of the Capitol Hill neighborhood, Eastern Market is where the locals go to pick up fresh and natural meats, fish, eggs, breads, p… read entire review