Eastern Market

Washington Travel Blog

I kind of take Eastern Market for granted, living about eight blocks away.  Almost every Saturday morning, I walk down there, usually with a few of my neighbors.  While there, we usually browse the flea-market, then head over to the market to pick up friuts, vegetables, meats, breads, cheeses, etc from the dozens of vendors located either outside on the walk under tents, or inside the building.

Today, however, I noticed some tourists hanging around people watching, and browsing some of the stalls.  They were obviously tourists, with fanny packs and Washington DC guidebooks out.  Then I remembered all of the times I've sought out things like this in other countries and cities.

Eastern Market is a prime people watching location on weekends.  Folks from Capitol Hill, as well as other parts of the city and even the suburbs come into Eastern Market to buy fruits and vegetables directly from the farms that grow them, as well as organic and natural meats and fish.  There are also other vendors in the market area, such as jewlery, artists, clothing, natural soaps, among others.  Across 7th Street, the flea market has vendors hawking everything from local clothing lines, historic maps, soccer jerseys, jewlery, and even fresh lemonade made on the spot.

I'm not sure how hidden or advertised Eastern Market is to the tourist set in Washington, but it's a great place to visit if you're tired of all of the monuments and musuems and want to see locals.  Like I said, today was the first time I ever noticed obvious tourists, and they reminded me of myself in other cities :)

photo by: b93sp